My Wife & Her Brothers are Scrood.

ChrisL

After spending 10 days with MIL it is evident to me she’s going to fleece her kids like she did her 3 exes... Her monthly income is $1,200 a month and roughly $10K in the bank after the sale of her house & paying off her bills.

The woman is now looking at apartments, new cars, new phones, a new tablet, entertainment...  She also refused to close her credit & store credit cards after my wife told her to.  One excuse after the other as to why she should keep them open.  She hasn’t arranged for healthcare, car insurance etc as her ex handles all of that.

She got a call regarding a PT job and I overheard her tell the person: “I’m vacationing in CA, call me when I get back” in a very annoyed manner.  I’m thinking, yeah well you didn’t tell the person when you are returning...  I also thought if I was looking to hire her I wouldn’t call her back.  I just don’t see her working either.

I’m Calling it now, she’s going to be underwater in debt in a year forcing her kids to bail her out or at least take her in.  The woman seems totally disconnected to her situation or she just doesn’t care..  The good news is my wife and her brothers see it too and they are communicating behind the scenes on a course of action.

Ugh...

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Define forcing.  No one is legally responsible for her well being except herself.  The sooner they force her to realize that the better. Time for REAL tough love.

Totally agree and what really sucks is they aren’t going to let her be homeless  and she knows it.  So she’ll manipulate them  so she gets what she wants.  

I hope I’m wrong but my gut tells me I won’t  be.

53 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Define forcing.  No one is legally responsible for her well being except herself.  The sooner they force her to realize that the better. Time for REAL tough love.

Actually that depends on the state.  Almost 30 states still have filial responsibility laws that could make adult children responsible for a parent's medical bills including nursing home costs. .  Although they're rarely enforced, they do exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filial_responsibility_laws

https://blogs.cfainstitute.org/investor/2017/11/29/filial-support-laws-a-sleeping-giant/

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Totally agree and what really sucks is they aren’t going to let her be homeless  and she knows it.  So she’ll manipulate them  so she gets what she wants.  

I hope I’m wrong but my gut tells me I won’t  be.

You have probably already thought of this, but you should get ahead of this one and tell her that she isn’t living with you, ever.  So should the others. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You have probably already thought of this, but you should get ahead of this one and tell her that she isn’t living with you, ever.  So should the others. 

My wife told her some time ago if she spends herself into debt she’s not bailing her out.  They also told her that as long as she’s physically able to live on her own she can’t live with any of them. 

Nobody completely closed the door on her living with them.  

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My wife told her some time ago if she spends herself into debt she’s not bailing her out.  They also told her that as long as she’s physically able to live on her own she can’t live with any of them. 

Nobody completely closed the door on her living with them.  

She needs counselling. But then again at her age...  Or at least credit / financial counselling...which in Canada tends to be lower cost to get service.  I’m aiming at this first because it will be very hard to get her to understand she needs psychological counselling since she keeps crossing over..