So I bought a house

Further

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You might be surprised how hard it is to push up that much grade. I’m not looking forward to winter. I never look forward to winter anyway.

Ended up with a 1 1/4 inch rise per foot. It doesn't seem bad, I know I've pushed her up steeper grades.

It was a long, hard day, but a lot of satisfaction from gettin her done. The kid kept looking at me like I was nutz, but then it would work out, he may be revising his geezer opinion of me..

My phone went dead just as I was taking the pic.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Last night you told us you bought a house and today you built a wheelchair ramp for it. You do things at a different speed than Petite and Dottie. Did you haul your lumber on the Element? I couldn’t believer how much 166 feet of pressure treated 2X6 weighed. I unloaded it all off the Pilot roof racks by myself and stacked it on the front porch and that’s where I set up the saw.  My son’s father in law did the figuring and screwing and I just cut all the lumber. I was sure glad he came over to help.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Last night you told us you bought a house and today you built a wheelchair ramp for it. You do things at a different speed than Petite and Dottie. Did you haul your lumber on the Element? I couldn’t believer how much 166 feet of pressure treated 2X6 weighed. I unloaded it all off the Pilot roof racks by myself and stacked it on the front porch and that’s where I set up the saw.  My son’s father in law did the figuring and screwing and I just cut all the lumber. I was sure glad he came over to help.

Was the lumber still wet? I think ALL the lumber for my shed was wet. A few sticks managed to dry a bit before I needed them, and I was amazed at how much lighter they were! But ya, wood is heavy. 

Glad you at least had help with the construction even though you had to unload it yourself.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Hauled it in the Toyota Sienna. I love that car. Rides like a limo, works like a stevedore. Posers in pickups got nuthin on a good minivan   ?‍♂️ 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

4 minutes ago, Further said:

Hauled it in the Toyota Sienna. I love that car. Rides like a limo, works like a stevedore. Posers in pickups got nuthin on a good minivan   ?‍♂️ 

You must have bought shorter lengths. I bought all 12 footers and threw them up on the roof rack of the Pilot. The racks bowed under the weight but when I unloaded it they sprang back into shape.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

You must have bought shorter lengths. I bought all 12 footers and threw them up on the roof rack of the Pilot. The racks bowed under the weight but when I unloaded it they sprang back into shape.

4 16' 2x10's   Hanging out the ass end like toilet paper trailing, with 2 sheets of 3/4 pressure treated plywood to hold it in place.

The Sienna rocks !!!  Iron fist in a velvet glove :nodhead:

We assembled  the frame of the ramp, shoehorned it into the van and hauled it into place. Showed the kid a few tricks during that maneuver....

Pulled out some shrubs that were in the way, the Sienna has no good way to hook a rope to it, so we used the kids Jeep, he looked a bit sceptical when I layed out the plan, when we were done he commented that he wished he had thought of this when cutting down some shrubs at his house last week   :D

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I went to bed early tonight because I was exhausted. I went into a dream where Mrs. Further started to feel better than she had in years and didn’t want to waste these good days just hanging out feeling good. She wanted you to use some vacation time you were going to use working on the house to go have fun. At the same time my wife had the same thing happening and the same idea. The third link was DH had a spontaneous health improvement. Those three planed a forumite meet up mountain bike adventure with their spouses out in DH’s area. Plane tickets bought, mountain bike rentals arranged. I was really enjoying this dream, then I woke up.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

4 hours ago, Further said:

4 16' 2x10's   Hanging out the ass end like toilet paper trailing, with 2 sheets of 3/4 pressure treated plywood to hold it in place.

The Sienna rocks !!!  Iron fist in a velvet glove :nodhead:

We assembled  the frame of the ramp, shoehorned it into the van and hauled it into place. Showed the kid a few tricks during that maneuver....

Pulled out some shrubs that were in the way, the Sienna has no good way to hook a rope to it, so we used the kids Jeep, he looked a bit sceptical when I layed out the plan, when we were done he commented that he wished he had thought of this when cutting down some shrubs at his house last week   :D

Who took your picture?

0F42B09B-67E1-4C38-AF78-8DBA703423AF.jpeg.f95fa0e7a74959ace8b482e04df34ec4.jpeg

• Haha 3