Hit a deer with my truck

team scooter

Jumped right out of the trees into my path on the way to work yesterday. Luckily for the truck I wasn't going very fast and slowed almost to a stop before impact. But unlucky for the deer, I was going just fast enough to injure it. Most of the scratches on the truck were on the bumper and below, so I think it broke it's legs as it was flopping around in the ditch. I had to call the Sheriff's department to have it put down.  :unhappy:

I feel bad enough when I hit a ground squirrel. :(

• Sad 11

Deers are evil, I’m glad you were not hurt. In Pennsylvania if the deer is flopping in the ditch someone will snag for freezer meat within minutes. On my last bike ride one was flopping around in the ditch. On my way back someone had snagged it. The ones that get splattered by large trucks might lay there for weeks or months. The possums and buzzards take care of them.

The last time a deer hit me it caused $3500 damages to the driver's side of my old Dakota. That deer stood up and ran away. This time there are some scratches on painted plastic/fiberglass that aren't worth fixing. But I just noticed that half of the plastic mount for one of the fog lights is broken and hanging by a thread. I used some wire to hold it in place until I can see about congering up another one for a fifteen year old Dakota. :dontknow:

I have impacted a few with bumpers of various Peterbilts, Kenworths and Freightliners over the years. Never took any damage to the trucks with the exception of one busted headlight.

One night I was driving my 95 Olds Cutlass to work when one suddenly appeared right in my path with no time to react.

On impact, I sent it flying into the ditch, but by the time I got stopped, it was up and gone into the woods.

Zero damage to the car, but it left a big tuft of hair between the grille and the hood. You don't realize how long that winter coat is when you see it on the deer.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, 2Far said:

One of our guys had a vulture crash into his passenger window. Broken window, hit & fly vulture. 

About a hundred years ago, I was running down US 15 in Pa following another one of our drivers when all of a sudden he slammed on the brakes and veered to the side of the road. A huge owl had collided with the passenger side windshield and ended up right in the cab with him.

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

About a hundred years ago, I was running down US 15 in Pa following another one of our drivers when all of a sudden he slammed on the brakes and veered to the side of the road. A huge owl had collided with the passenger side windshield and ended up right in the cab with him.

I had a bat bounce off my motorcycle windshield

• Heart 1