Single Car Experiment Over

ChrisL

For years in our family we each had a car and we had a spare car if one car needed to go in the shop. The plan worked well but was expensive. When I was about to retire I told my wife we didn’t need three cars anymore. She traded in two cars and bought the one she wanted. The spare car was usually used when our son’s van would break down and we would loan him ours. I told her I was retiring and didn’t need to go anywhere.

• Heart 2

It is like my wife's 2012 Fiat 500 with less that 20,000 miles on it. While purchased new, so cheap they are giving them away and while critics point out depreciation, when you start low after initial discounts, less depreciation risk than most cars. She likes it, it is there, and I don't have to coordinate single car usage. Only bad part she required an automatic or could do double duty as one of the decreasing number of cars capable of 4 down towing behind an RV.

Just now, Parr8hed said:

I’d love to be able to get down to one car. Worth the effort to attempt. 

If you ask my wife it was easy, if you asked me it was a PITA.  She bought the bike but never commuted so I had to adjust my schedule to take her to work and get her home. After work rides, nope.  Weekend MTB rides, gotta ride to the trail head so she’s not stranded for hours. I basically had to rearrange my life so she could be carless.  

I was also sick of looking at cars and not buying.  I excused the dealer last night and told her, we got you a good deal on the car you want, just  get the freaking car already...  OK...

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was also sick of looking at cars and not buying.  I excused the dealer last night and told her, we got you a good deal on the car you want, just  get the freaking car already...  OK...

My wife also has no patience for me and car shopping.  I just stayed oot of her and daughter #2 buying her latest Fit, and I think we were all happier that way.  It is just too traumatic a process for me. :D

I just downsized to a single car too. Sold  WoScraprs Rav4. It was only a few years old...like 5 or so. But she had wanted a Volvo on the Overseas Delivery (OSD). Which i promised her at her cancer dx. She did not live long enough to go on that trip. So I decided that i would drive that Volvo. And traded in my OSD Volvo. Then I sold Lil Scrapr's car. It had been a year and a half that we had removed it from his possession. He showed no interest in getting insurance so i sold it. 

If you are keeping score that is:

• Sell 3
  • Buy 1

I am very interested in how big the new insurance bill isn't