Stone's Trace

Digital_photog

We had some sales.  Weren't expecting a lot at this show.  Sold a couple caps and scarves. 2 four oz balls of fine Shetland wool roving from the Supreme champion ewe at Michigan Fiber Festival last year.  Several blacksmith items and some maple syrup. We bought a couple expensive items and still had over $200 more than we went with so not bad at all. Several people asked to buy WoD_Ps natural plant dyed yarn but that was just for an educational display and not for sale. We need to keep it for several more shows.

• Heart 2

Was the flag period correct?

I did not get many shots from my glamping trip with the scouts.  Was up until 2 am on Friday Night / Saturday morning making sure we were ready for all the patrol competitions the next day.

I carry a wrought iron hook in my pack that my oldest son made at camp in the blacksmithing merit badge class.

I use it to hang my pack off the ground when we camp.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Was the flag period correct?

I did not get many shots from my glamping trip with the scouts.  Was up until 2 am on Friday Night / Saturday morning making sure we were ready for all the patrol competitions the next day.

I carry a wrought iron hook in my pack that my oldest son made at camp in the blacksmithing merit badge class.

I use it to hang my pack off the ground when we camp.

The flag was not period correct for our camp.  The Civil War camp had the flag raising so it was a period correct cotton flag for them.   I do have a period correct flag for our pre 1816 camps.  Note: nylon flags are NOT period correct no matter what star and stripe pattern they have. You can get thrown out of camp for nylon.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

The flag was not period correct for our camp.  The Civil War camp had the flag raising so it was a period correct cotton flag for them.   I do have a period correct flag for our pre 1816 camps.  Note: nylon flags are NOT period correct no matter what star and stripe pattern they have. You can get thrown out of camp for nylon.

I do not like to "retire" nylon flags by burning due to the out gassing.   

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I do not like to "retire" nylon flags by burning due to the out gassing.   

You are right about the toxic fumes.

Would you camp with me with this flag flying over our camp?  It doesn't have the modern 50 stars and 13 stripes.

It is what was flying over Fort McHenry when the Star Spangled Banner was written.

91EtEAdb9kL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.975470542afd01a99274b8eba0b18146.jpg

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You are right about the toxic fumes.

Would you camp with me with this flag flying over our camp?  It doesn't have the modern 50 stars and 13 stripes.

It is what was flying over Fort McHenry when the Star Spangled Banner was written.

91EtEAdb9kL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.975470542afd01a99274b8eba0b18146.jpg

Damn Skippy.

When I took Wood Badge training and staffed Wood Badge training for Scouts, we raised a historical flag each morning along with the United States flag and the Texas flag.  The patrol had to tell the story of the historical flag and lead the troop in a patriotic song.  

Here is a page from the syllabus showing your flag as one of the possible historic flags.  Would you sing with me?
image.thumb.png.a5311c1201b4be4cfbb7204264c36e2a.png

Kentucky and Maryland, the two slave states that did not secede from the Union, have in common the fact that there are "Kentucky Regiments" and "Maryland Regiments" in both the Blue and Gray Armies!

At Antietam, there are markers for a Maryland Artillery Regiment that did great service for the South.  At Gettysburg, it was a Maryland Brigade fighting for the North on Culp's Hill that did virtually the same thing on the North end of the line that Colonel Chamberlain and the 20th Maine more famously did defending Little Round Top on the South end. Pictures from both sites during a 2010 visit with my nephew Ryan, whose father is from Maine:

MD1es_3009Lg.png.bc702aedcadb7a989b651777b2540897.png.

1279209843_MickMDCulpsHill.jpg.1488830683da17a111a8d7125388432e.jpg846545012_Ryan20thMaine1.jpg.938f62651f2931d9a4dd14d256c29877.jpg

• Heart 1