Ever tear out a shower / tub combo & install a walk in shower ?

Further

Yep.  Bath fitters did it for me in one day.  It wasn't extremely expensive.

They come in and take detailed measurements.  Then they order the custome replacement.  They showed up with the replacement and sledge hammers, blew out the old tub after disconnecting all the fittings and drains.  They blew out all the old wall tile.  They lay in the base, hook up the drain pipe and bring in a single unit that is all three walls, pre creased at the corners so it folds nicely into shape.  New fittings with a bit of plumbing and voila all cleaned up and ready to use.  You can get some custom options if you want.  Perhaps a seat at one end and some grab handles.

• Heart 2

The pro (from Dover) use a system called Kerdi. Read upon it. The pan is super important. You don't want to redo that. I don't know a lot about it. But I think the layers are base-kerdi-wonderboard-tile. Probably want a curbless shower. I like those a lot. 

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/showers

I believe there is a message board for tile guys called John Bridge (???) Step lightly over there. I've heard they are not especially nice to HO. Or is that the HVAC board?

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Further said:

I think you would be very helpful.

Well, it really depends what WoFurther needs for access.  Does she take a wheelchair into the shower?  If so, sills are problematic.  If you want a custom look like Chris's example, you can still do it on your own with a little patience.  If you do it on your own, talk to someone at a tile centre of HD about Schluter kits for your dimensions.  They are expensive but they eliminate all water leak potential.   Feel free to PM me for further.  

If you want a quick and easy fix, then Bathfitter does a good job.  They are a little motel looking to me but they are easy to maintain and last a long time. 

She can still do a threshold. I'm planning to tear out the existing tub / shower one piece unit and install a 4 piece step in shower. I want to minimize drywall damage. The bathroom has wallpaper that is in excellent shape and I would prefer not to replace it right now.

So some kind of trim around the new unit to transition from paint to wallpaper.   

• Heart 1

I don't know if you have them in your area, but Floor & Décor, besides having far greater selection than HD, is great to just walk through. They will have some built out displays that gives ideas on design. The one I pictured above was based on one of their displays as I never would have thought of the tile inlays.  Stick to ceramic or porcelain tiles. While travertine may be tempting, it is also very high maintenance. It is porous and requires a sealing cote which has to be repeated every three years or so. 

Currently having both upstairs bathrooms redone.  Paying someone to do the tile work and install a new tub in the kids bathroom.  Kids bathroom needed redone, the master we thought was good as it was a nice walk in, but we developed a leak.  After tearing it out, saw how badly it was done behind the tile, and really glad I got someone really good doing the work so I know it's done right and will be trouble free for years to come.  He did a poured cement pan in our walk in shower.  We put in a fiberglass tub, he also set it in cement so the bottom of it is completely solid now, not at all like stepping into a fiberglass tub.

I am doing all the finish work.  New flooring, sitting toilets, trim work, drywall work and painting.