Sleep while your car drives

bikeman564™

48 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Like aircraft, apparently we need to kill a bunch of people before we take action.  This is a truly bad idea unless all vehicles are part of a complete transportation system with enough redundancies to minimize safety risks for all. 

No kidding.

Driving the truck is the only thing keeping me awake. If it drove itself, I'd be sawing logs too.

My nephew just finished a co-op paid work term with Cruz, the software company that GM bought out that is working on the software for self-driving cars.  He was working in San Francisco (yea, he’s Canadian).  He did sit in a self-driving car several times on a busy road in San Francisco on trips for several km. There was a technician back at home base, monitoring, etc.

He is doing his university degree in mechantronics..a blend of mechanical engineering and robotics. (University of Waterloo).

Myself, I would never be comfortable to be in a vehicle unless it had its own dedicated track and no other type of vehicle was there.  The LRT in Greater Vancouver has been driverless for several decades.  It is above ground and underground, not at road surface with cars.

2 hours ago, smudge said:

I saw that on the news!! Super scary!

Unless it was a hoax.  The care in question did not have self-driving technology.  IT could stay in its lane.  It could avoid hitting someone and it could maintain highway speeds.  It was not a self-driving car.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Unless it was a hoax.  The care in question did not have self-driving technology.  IT could stay in its lane.  It could avoid hitting someone and it could maintain highway speeds.  It was not a self-driving car.

A hoax on the internet? Now I've heard it all.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

My new Volvo calls this Pilot Assist. It is awesome. Car is centered in the lane. The Adaptive Cruise Control watches your distance from the car in front. Every once in a while it will lose the lane visual. Like during road construction. I imagine snow might not work either. Of course it does not pick up traffic lights or things like that. It is a step toward the self driving car though

Fake news

Tesla currently does not offer fully autonomous driving.  My wife purchased as many features as were allowed.  It will fully self drive, but it's stupid.  You need to firmly touch the steering wheel every 30 seconds or so to let the car know you're still paying attention.  If you grab it too hard, the autopilot features shut down.

40 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You need to firmly touch the steering wheel every 30 seconds or so to let the car know you're still paying attention.  If you grab it too hard, the autopilot features shut down.

Dead man's switch. And if you don't? Does the car just stop? That's safe ?

14 hours ago, wilbur said:

Like aircraft, apparently we need to kill a bunch of people before we take action.  This is a truly bad idea unless all vehicles are part of a complete transportation system with enough redundancies to minimize safety risks for all. 

That is crazy talk.  Self driving means you can catch a few, if you trust the programming and sensors and just really have to sleep.