Foiled Again by the Yanks

jsharr

Team New Zealand launched their new AC75 first but the Americans were the first team to be up and foiling in a new AC75 boat under sail power.  The racing is going to be epic.

American Magic's new AC75 under sail for the first time.

Team New Zealand's boat has been up on it's foils as well, but only while being towed by a power boat.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Zealot said:

I know very little about boats/boating. In this picture, it appears the boat, a sail boat, is moving fast enough to come out of the water?

6 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I have the same question.  Much of the boating in my life has been powered by oars.

Underwater foils are used instead of the common keel and rudder to provide enough lift to raise the hull out of the water,  The foils are controlled by complicated onboard computers and hydraulics.  The hydraulics are powered by humans turining cranks.  The winning team in the last americas cup actually had stationary bikes instead of hand powered cranks.

Image result for tean new zealand ac bikes

The boats are so fast they create their own wind.

• Heart 1

The last Americas Cup was contested in fully foiling catamarans with rigid wing main sails.  The boats are so fast that regardless of which way the wind is blowing, as long as it is blowing hard enough for them to get on their foils, they are going into the wind at all times.  Watch the bicycle video to sort of understand "apparent" wind versus true wind.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Underwater foils are used instead of the common keel and rudder to provide enough lift to raise the hull out of the water

I think what is fascinating is how with traditional monohull sail boats, the longer the waterline the faster the boat goes. This is now the opposite, the hull is completely out of the water on the foils.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think what is fascinating is how with traditional monohull sail boats, the longer the waterline the faster the boat goes. This is now the opposite, the hull is completely out of the water on the foils.

Yep, and there have always been planing hull shapes.  I used to love to jump on my Dolphin Sr, get it up on plane on a reach and go blowing past the $50,0000 racers that could not plane!    Foiling is a game changer, but it is also very dangerous with the increased speed comes much more potential for injury and even death when things go bad.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yep, and there have always been planing hull shapes.  I used to love to jump on my Dolphin Sr, get it up on plane on a reach and go blowing past the $50,0000 racers that could not plane!    Foiling is a game changer, but it is also very dangerous with the increased speed comes much more potential for injury and even death when things go bad.

I’m going to do some fiberglass work on my Pearson this off season! Stick on some foils!

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

This apparent wind making you go faster cannot possibly be true. Every time I have apparent wind on my bike it turns into a head wind :angry:

You are not sail shaped.  If you were, and you had foils, you would be hauling ass.  But apparent wind is true, and you proved it by saying it turned into a head wind.  

Usually a sailboat adjusts it's sails, or changes sails, based on the course being sailed and the wind direction.

With these boats going so fast that the create their own apparent wind, they are always sailing into the wind.

Here are the headings on a traditional boat

Image result for directions of sailing

On a foiling boat, you are almost always close hauled and here are your points of sail

image.png.27120ffabdcba50b6292e75e3fed1b2d.png

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Foiling is a game changer.  When I finish a brisket or shoulder on the smoker I foil them and leave them in a cooler (no ice) for about 4 hours.  Gives the meat more time to break down and all of the yummy juices a change to re-accumulate into the meat.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Foiling is a game changer.  When I finish a brisket or shoulder on the smoker I foil them and leave them in a cooler (no ice) for about 4 hours.  Gives the meat more time to break down and all of the yummy juices a change to re-accumulate into the meat.  

Do you have some sort of beef with me?

• Haha 1