How do you reaaaaaact when the inevitable happens?

jsharr

Family that lived across the street from us for years broke up years back.  Father was a drug addict and basically left.  She got a divorce, kept the house and we have been friends ever since.  The father showed up every now and then, but those visits got fewer and further between.

Got word last night that he had committed suicide.  I knew for years he would die early, but I did not expect suicide.

I am not sure what to say to the ex wife or the son.   Their relationship is strained already and the son has some issues.  

• Sad 4

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Drama.

Drama for him but pain and sadness and confusion for his son I would imagine and maybe relief and guilt for the ex wife.

I have lost an uncle and several friends to suicide and I know the emptiness and pain and self questioning it can bring.  I still ask myself what could I have done or said to keep Glenn or Uncle Phil alive.  

Sorry seems empty and void of emotion to me.  I was the age of the son when I lost my Uncle and I was a senior in high school when we had a rash of suicides that took a friend I had known since 7th grade.

The father of one of my son's friends who was a scout and a team mate in little league committed suicide in a somewhat visible fashion and that family moved away, I think to protect the kids and get a fresh start.  

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

How about saying how sorry you are and offering your loss of words to give them comfort..because addiction has brought them a lot of pain over the years..and maybe the willingness to listen if they need it.

He knows I am here to listen.  I would often take him shopping for Mothers Day and Valentines and Chirstmas when he was younger.  Our families have grown apart over the last few years.   

Lady I used to work with had been married for several years to a man I never thought was a good match. I can’t remember if their son was theirs or from a previous relationship. However when the son came out, husband did not appear to accept it. Pictures were either with the son or with husband. Never with both. 

I never asked if that was the trigger, but she filed for divorce. Not long after she moved out, he committed suicide. We went to the visitation. She walked up to us half crying, half frustrated laughing “that son of a bitch!”  We just hugged her and let her vent. 

It’s been about a year and a half. She has a new man and seems very happy. 

All I can say is tell them you’re sorry and (if you are willing) that you are there to listen if they need.