Summer Returns with a Vengeance

MickinMD

Highs in the low-mid 90's in Central Maryland Wed. & Thur., mostly with very high humidity with a heat index over 100F. I've gotten used to cooler temps and it was tough to handle!

I picked up my new eyeglasses then went  shopping  for several things each at Aldi, Walmart, and Food Lion.

Each time I exited my car, an office, or a store this afternoon it felt hotter than the last time I had been outside.

Then my neighbor Ron and I got into a discussion that took about 20 minutes after which I carried the food into the house, dropped it on the floor (the frozen/refrigerated stuff is in an insulated bag), grabbed a cold Snapple, and here I am 20 minutes later, soaking wet from sweat and knackered - exhausted, as they say on my favorite BBC series on PBS.  Another 10 minutes or so and I'll put the stuff away while I get dinner ready.

I had arrived home and my neighbor and friend since childhood, Ron, asked me if my car was ok.  He had seen a guy on a bicycle around 11 pm the night before swing onto the sidewalk along my yard, lean his bike up near my gate, and his head and body disappeared behind my car, Ron's truck, and another truck all parked near each other.  Ron coughed loud, then went inside his house to get his keys so he could make his car beep.  The bicyclists head popped up, looked at Ron, got on his bike and rode away.  Ron says he could have just been resting but at 11 pm it didn't make much sense.  The guy could have been checking for unlocked doors, stuff in the back of the two pickup trucks, license plates, etc.

I hope that's the last of him.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

mostly with very high humidity

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Currently very comfy in the mid 80’s but dry heat.

talking to a Mensa candidate about to comfort levels in Colorado & Pa. He informed me that Pa was much more comfortable in summer, the humidity allows your sweat to dribble down your butt crack, and conduct the heat away. In Colorado the sweat evaporates before it can cool you down.

I said "Your Right !  Bless Your Soul ! "  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Further said:

talking to a Mensa candidate about to comfort levels in Colorado & Pa. He informed me that Pa was much more comfortable in summer, the humidity allows your sweat to dribble down your butt crack, and conduct the heat away. In Colorado the sweat evaporates before it can cool you down.

I said "Your Right !  Bless Your Soul ! "  

He's too technical about this (even though he's right).  It's about how a person generally feels in terms of comfort/discomfort at same hot temp. where in 1 country region it's much lower humidity compared to another region.  

My plans for the day didn’t work out so late afternoon I decided to go for a ride. It was 87 degrees and sunny with high humidity, thunderstorms predicted for after four pm. I didn’t want to have to ride the dirt roads in the rain so I hauled my bike to the lake. As I started around the lake I noticed I was the only one there. No other bikes, no walkers, no fishermen. The trail was covered with fallen leaves, seems early for that.

i was enjoying having the bike trail all to myself. The heat didn’t feel bad as long as I didn’t slow down. Six miles into my 12 mile lap around the lake (the farthest point from my vehicle) the thunder and lightening started. I had to ride across the causeway, kinda scary in a lightning storm. I stayed in the drops and pedaled hard until across the water and back into the woods. It didn’t rain hard but it did make a lot of noise. By the time I finished my first lap the thunder had subsided. I stopped halfway across the dam to analize the situation. Still a lot of dark clouds so I decided to load up and go home. The heavy rain and flickering power started just as I pulled in my driveway. Didn’t lose power long enough to have to reset everything but it kept flickering off and on for about an our. No satellite signal for tv or internet. The cars got a free wash.

87AB7689-7338-4FEA-8889-D79B55D44C1F.thumb.jpeg.353ae727e141bbd6e52687fd350e3890.jpeg

• Heart 2