Wine for lasagna

Airehead

Pinot Grigio still seems to be popular for drinking and traditionally white is better with Italian tomato based dishes.  Don't tell anyone but I use Firebrand Chardonay in my Italian cooking. I prefer reds for drinking.  Chianti is nice but a good Barolo is very nice if your lasagna is meat based.  Always serve a glass of Proseco before the food is served. :) 

• Heart 3

Ok, 4 Pinot and 3 Barolo

Oh and a gewurztraminer just because I like it

Some beer which is what I think the younger guests will drink before dinner with the appetizers.

I am not going to really offer hard liquors because I don't like mixing drinks.  We have a couple scotches, vodka  and some rum if someone asks.

• Heart 3

There must be something wrong with me.  Of all the things that one can drink I like wine the least.  I didn't like wine even when I was a sailor and was known for having the occasional drink.  I realize that almost all the people I know like wine so I guess it's just me.

Edit:  That might not be exactly true.  It comes to mind that Ripple and Boon's Farm were technically wine.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Chianti Classico is nice and not as pricy as Barolo. I've never tried Barolo, but one of these days when I win the lottery, I'll buy some.

I do not like Gewurztraminer, though it is fun to say, and ones made in the Finger Lakes are highly regarded.

I have had some reasonable Barolo that were excellent. 

The Gewur. From Dr. Frank is excellent.   

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Call my friend Kyle Kepner at The Wine Authority.  

https://thewineauthorityonline.com/

Will do

12 minutes ago, 12string said:

White wine with Lasagna!?  What have you been drinking?!  Heathen!

Prosecco before, then Sangiovese or Montepulciano with dinner.  And 6 bottles is stingy.

Italians use very little red wine in cooking.  Even heavy meat meals like Osso Bucco traditionally use white.  Red wine and tomatoes is a mistake.  Drinking wine is suited more to taste than by tradition though.  Drink what you like, even if we do laugh at you. 

• Heart 1

I didn't think he was asking about what to cook with.  I do like mixing white with tomatoes, other than chili I don't think I've ever mixed red with tomato.  Curious - what's the mistake of mixing the 2.

When my mother comes for dinner, it's white wine with an ice cube, no matter what we're eating.  I have to keep a cheap bottle of white in the fridge, she doesn't seem to care how long it sits in there.

1 hour ago, Genetically Modified Sofa said:

Maddog 20 20.

It's a wine that doesn't even have a grape within 20 miles but man alive, you will have a great time. 

GMS

That's a proud Western NY product from Lake Erie Westfield NY - between Erie PA and Buffalo. I see the vineyards every time I drive by,

Wild Irish Rose is also from Western NY, Canandaigua in  the Finger Lakes,

Cheap grapes, but still grapes.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, roadsue said:

What did you serve, and how did it go? 

Saturday evening. So far I have only served Italian wedding soup on Wednesday and a roasted chicken with au gratin potatoes and tomatoes cypresses last night. Well and breakfasts and lunches too. 

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, 12string said:

I didn't think he was asking about what to cook with.  I do like mixing white with tomatoes, other than chili I don't think I've ever mixed red with tomato.  Curious - what's the mistake of mixing the 2.

When my mother comes for dinner, it's white wine with an ice cube, no matter what we're eating.  I have to keep a cheap bottle of white in the fridge, she doesn't seem to care how long it sits in there.

Tannins taste bad when they are reduced.  Sort of a funky chalky taste. Milder flavours don't cover it.  

• Heart 1

Personally, when I'm serving any kind of pasta to a dozen family members and friends, I'll have a dry red wine, a sweeter white wine, and beer and soft drinks available since they are mostly not wine drinkers.

For a meat & cheese & marinara sauce traditional lasagna, red wines or dry white wines are often recommended.  I just did a quick google and one site says, " Because tart and savory Sangiovese [an Italian dry red wine] drinks well with the intensity of lasagna. This is because the high acid and rustic flavor profile cuts through creamy fat and tarantellos with tomato at the same time. Heck, if you want to go the non-traditional route (Tex-Mex Lasagna anyone?), Sangio is up for the challenge. (https://winefolly.com/tutorial/what-kind-of-wine-goes-with-lasagna/)

I like the fairly dry red wines: Beaujolais is cheap, fruity, and goes well for me with any kind of pasta. Cabernet Sauvignon works as well.

Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc are dry white wines that tend to be less-dry than most reds and, if you like them a little sweeter, a pink Zinfandel that's not too sweet should be ok.

15 hours ago, roadsue said:

What did you serve, and how did it go? 

Saturday evening. So far I have only served Italian wedding soup on Wednesday and a roasted chicken with au gratin potatoes and tomatoes cypresses last night. Well and breakfasts and lunches too. 

• Heart 1