This Book Annoyed Me

Razors Edge

I got a freebie from Amazon for my Kindle named "Quantum" by well known and bestselling author Patricia Cornwell.  I've never read her Scarpetta detective novels, but folks seem to love them.  Anyway, this first book in a new series ("Captain Chase" series) would seemingly tick all my boxes (besides being FREE), but damned if it didn't leave me angry at the WTF denouement and wondering if her other books are similar in style and odd ending.  If you have Amazon Prime, you probably can also get it for free, and read it and let me know if I am nuts in thinking this was a half-baked novel.

image.png.6ddddffc7dbf4027d311c7efe2ede21d.png

International bestselling author Patricia Cornwell delivers pulse-pounding thrills in a series featuring a brilliant and unusual new heroine, cutting-edge cybertechnology, and stakes that are astronomically high.

On the eve of a top secret space mission, Captain Calli Chase detects a tripped alarm in the tunnels deep below a NASA research center. A NASA pilot, quantum physicist, and cybercrime investigator, Calli knows that a looming blizzard and government shutdown could provide the perfect cover for sabotage, with deadly consequences.

As it turns out, the danger is worse than she thought. A spatter of dried blood, a missing security badge, a suspicious suicide—a series of disturbing clues point to Calli’s twin sister, Carme, who’s been MIA for days.

Desperate to halt the countdown to disaster and to clear her sister’s name, Captain Chase digs deep into her vast cyber security knowledge and her painful past, probing for answers to her twin’s erratic conduct. As time is running out, she realizes that failure means catastrophe—not just for the space program but for the safety of the whole nation.

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I got a freebie from Amazon for my Kindle named "Quantum" by well known and bestselling author Patricia Cornwell.  I've never read her Scarpetta detective novels, but folks seem to love them.  Anyway, this first book in a new series ("Captain Chase" series) would seemingly tick all my boxes (besides being FREE), but damned if it didn't leave me angry at the WTF denouement and wondering if her other books are similar in style and odd ending.  If you have Amazon Prime, you probably can also get it for free, and read it and let me know if I am nuts in thinking this was a half-baked novel.

image.png.6ddddffc7dbf4027d311c7efe2ede21d.png

International bestselling author Patricia Cornwell delivers pulse-pounding thrills in a series featuring a brilliant and unusual new heroine, cutting-edge cybertechnology, and stakes that are astronomically high.

On the eve of a top secret space mission, Captain Calli Chase detects a tripped alarm in the tunnels deep below a NASA research center. A NASA pilot, quantum physicist, and cybercrime investigator, Calli knows that a looming blizzard and government shutdown could provide the perfect cover for sabotage, with deadly consequences.

As it turns out, the danger is worse than she thought. A spatter of dried blood, a missing security badge, a suspicious suicide—a series of disturbing clues point to Calli’s twin sister, Carme, who’s been MIA for days.

Desperate to halt the countdown to disaster and to clear her sister’s name, Captain Chase digs deep into her vast cyber security knowledge and her painful past, probing for answers to her twin’s erratic conduct. As time is running out, she realizes that failure means catastrophe—not just for the space program but for the safety of the whole nation.

Kind of like “this food tastes terrible, try it!”

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Kind of like “this food tastes terrible, try it!”

Or "prove me wrong".  But yeah, read at your own risk.  I like techno-thrillers or cybercrime or the like novels, but this one disappointed me considering it was a "name brand" author and not some random freebie from Amazon to boost sales of a series with a sequel about to drop.