Not all gravel roads are created equal.

Longjohn

12 minutes ago, smudge said:

Looks pretty good once you hit the tree line!

That's how the Airline trail grew around here.  There were places (wet muddy) where rock was dumped on the trail and allowed to settle for a year or two.  Later they came back and filled it in with the top finish, dug ditches for drainage and rolled it.  

On the other hand, some of the fire roads around here have been allowed to degrade till they look like river bottoms.

59 minutes ago, smudge said:

Looks pretty good once you hit the tree line!

The shadows are just hiding the nastiness. It’s big loose rock all the way up. A friend of mine lives at the top of that hill. It’s really steep. Her house is off a road that runs along the ridge.  She used to ride this road down to the lake but it washed out so bad they just closed it. It does say travel at your own risk so it’ snot completely closed.

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Nah.  Stumper would mob right through that garden.  

Pedal fast heading up to it, and you'll go right over the top of them. NO BRAKES.

Although pics don't properly show grade.  Those rocks are not that big though.

you know my thoughts on the wtf sections :biker:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Nah.  Stumper would mob right through that garden.  

Pedal fast heading up to it, and you'll go right over the top of them. NO BRAKES.

Although pics don't properly show grade.  Those rocks are not that big though.

I wouldn’t ride that on my road bike or even the crosser but my 2.2 XC tires could manage that too. After the rains many of our trails had similar wash out sections and they were loose but manageable.

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

I wouldn’t ride that on my road bike or even the crosser but my 2.2 XC tires could manage that too. After the rains many of our trails had similar wash out sections and they were loose but manageable.

Yeah, looks manageable, BUT... not sure about grade.  Pics are deceiving.  If the grade is too steep and those rocks are on the loose side, it could be a walker.

Pics are deceiving.

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Depends on how much monies I cost her when I break VS how much my bike costs.  Also depends on if I am broken to the point where I cannot go to work to make her more monies. 

There's a funny saying at our house that comes up from time to time. 

I crashed in a race and broke my shoulder. Wo46 was in the emergency room and when the nurse was rolling me off to x-ray Wo46 was standing there with her little cup of coffee and said. 

Someday I want you to drive me to the hospital. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, BR46 said:

There's a funny saying at our house that comes up from time to time. 

I crashed in a race and broke my shoulder. Wo46 was sitting in the emergency room and when the nurse was rolling me off to x-ray Wo46 was standing there with her little cup of coffee and said. 

Someday I want you to drive me to the hospital. 

My husband said something to the effect of trying to guilt me the last time I took a big crash.  It was like "You're going to be really mad sitting out this summer @ Downieville, cause you hurt yourself."

Guess how that talk went over?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband said something to the effect of trying to guilt me the last time I took a bog crash.  It was like "You're going to be really mad sitting out this summer @ Downieville, cause you hurt yourself."

Guess how that talk went over?

like a led zeppelin?

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think with age comes wisdom... I got an XC bike as I knew I wasn’t going to schralp and if a section of trail looks too sketchy I dismount & walk.

My wheels really don’t leave the ground and that’s fine with me.

Speaking of that, I am FINALLY getting really comfy with flats.  The jumps are feeling more natural again, with loose feet. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1