Rambouillet rams

sheep_herder

51 minutes ago, smudge said:

Are they yours, or are you just showing off your photography skills? ;)

I love the sharpness of your photos and the true colors.

Just spent the day at the annual ram sale yesterday.  Took a few photos and will send some to the people that I know. The ewe sale was Wednesday evening. We use to sell Columbia rams at the sale, but that was many years ago.

• Heart 2

Rambouillet

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Rams from this breed of fine wool sheep sold well at the ram sale today.

0V2A3417.jpg

Our friends who raise Rambouillet told me at our fair that some of their rams have cost more than $7000.  That makes our Shetlands look very cheap. They said that some of them sell for much more than that. We bid on one of their fleeces at the state fleece auction but didn't get it.  Someone else wanted it more than we did.

Was this an all breed sale? We haven't bought any of our breeding stock at auction. We got ours from direct from some of the top breeders in the USA.

1 hour ago, Digital_photog said:

Rambouillet

Our friends who raise Rambouillet told me at our fair that some of their rams have cost more than $7000.  That makes our Shetlands look very cheap. They said that some of them sell for much more than that. We bid on one of their fleeces at the state fleece auction but didn't get it.  Someone else wanted it more than we did.

Was this an all breed sale? We haven't bought any of our breeding stock at auction. We got ours from direct from some of the top breeders in the USA.

It is not really an all breed sale, but they sell several breeds that are popular in the west. Buyers come from several states and Canada, and have for many years.  Targhee is the main breed that is sold, but there are others.  One Targhee ram sold for $10,000 yesterday, and I've seen them sell for more. We've bought some from auction when we were raising Columbias, but most have been bought private treaty.  Here is a link to the catalog.

It is always best to buy from breeders with a good reputation, to avoid as many problems as possible.  However, we bought our Katahdins (not registered) from folks in Iowa that did not have a reputation in the show ring etc., but were recommended by one of the best sheepmen in the USA, that I knew from working for USDA-ARS and he had also been head of the Animal Science Department at Ohio State U. Long-time reputation is one of the important things to consider.  That is not to say young folks in the business do not have good stock, but it is nice to see the same type of animal consistently being produced over a time period.  Normally takes about 3 years before the new sellers at this auction get the above average prices for their animals.  Sheep in our country need to be able to travel and produce over large acreages, thus, one wants to buy accordingly. Rams can look good, but they may not standup well to the conditions, and this will impact future sales.

• Heart 1