Kidney stones to the left, Kidney stones to the right, volley'd and thunder'd

MickinMD

A month ago, my brother's sister-in-law, part of our close extended-family-group who often eat together and have very similar diets, suffered pain from what turned out to be kidney stones in BOTH kidneys and is in the middle of procedures to break them up or, more likely, to have two separate operations since the stones are proving hard to break.

My sister just phoned me and said she was admitted to Johns Hopkins Hospital last night (she's a senior cancer research nurse there): she's got kidney stones!

She woke her husband up in the middle of last night, said she had the worst pain of her life, and needed to go to the emergency room.  It's in one kidney and she's been told there's a 50:50 chance she'll pass it with the help of some meds.  They're holding her until this afternoon to make sure the pain meds are agreeable with her system.

I guess I'm going to have to start looking at non-kidney-stone diets!

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, 12string said:

worst.  pain.  EVER!

Glad I've only done it once, that couple weeks was awful.  I pay FAR more attention to staying hydrated now.

Thank god I have never had them but a woman I know who has and has 3 kids said the kidney stones were worse than childbirth.

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

Is this safe to do daily or just certain meals

I do it with higher protein meals which for me, is breakfast and dinner.  Apparently the phosphate, oxalate and potassium bind to the calcium carbonate so it minimizes absorption into the bloodstream. Nephrologists recommend it for kidney disease patients.