The French fear the Forest.

Prophet Zacharia

Somehow, my wife and I have taken to watching French TV shows on Netflix. Currently watching “The Dark Spot”. This is the third or fourth series we have seen about people being murdered in the woods with supernatural overtones. This one is somewhat “Blair Witch”-like. Are there North American TV shows that you can think of that are similar, or is this a French/Belgian specific phobia?

If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise
If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise
For every bear that ever there was will gather there for certain
Because today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic

Every teddy bear who's been good is sure of a treat today
There's lots of marvellous things to eat and wonderful games to play
Beneath the trees where nobody sees they'll hide and seek as long as they please

That's the way the teddy bears have their picnic

Picnic time for teddy bears
The little teddy bears are having a lovely time today
Watch them, catch them unawares and see them picnic on their holiday

See them gaily gad about
They love to play and shout
They never have any cares
At six o'clock their mummies and daddies will take them back home to bed
Because they're tired little teddy bears

If you go down in the woods today, you better not go alone
It's lovely down in the woods today, but safer to stay at home
For every bear that ever there was will gather there for certain
Because today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic

17 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Somehow, my wife and I have taken to watching French TV shows on Netflix. Currently watching “The Dark Spot”. This is the third or fourth series we have seen about people being murdered in the woods with supernatural overtones. This one is somewhat “Blair Witch”-like. Are there North American TV shows that you can think of that are similar, or is this a French/Belgian specific phobia?

Gotta think the X-Files dealt with that in some episodes.  Sort of feel like Twin Peaks might have had a similar feel to it, but can't remember it that well.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Gotta think the X-Files dealt with that in some episodes.  Sort of feel like Twin Peaks might have had a similar feel to it, but can't remember it that well.

IIRC, X-Files was about investigating aliens, wherever the story took them. Not really the same thing.

I thought of Twin Peaks, but also can’t remember much about the story. 

The Haunting of Hill House was set at the edge of the forest, but it all occurred inside the house.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

with mayo?  That just seems totally wrong.  Then again, I like pretzels and mustard, so there is that.

Have you tried it?  When I was in Holland the thought of it kinda turned me off but it’s good. Actually we mixed mayo & ketchup.  My kids eat it that way too.

Back in the day in the mess hall you could always tell the soldiers who had done time in Germany as they would put mayo on their fries.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Probably because the big bad Germans would invade their country by coming through the forests.

There is a French film titled “Le Pacte des Loups” starring starring Samuel Le Bihan and Mark Dacascos, based on the real events surrounding the attacks, which was the director’s attempt to offer a plausible explanation.  It’s a fun movie, worth a watch if you get interested in the story. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We started watching a pretty interesting Belgian series aboot murder in the woods, but I can;t remember the name.

Ahh, Uncle Google to the rescue - The Break.

The Break was one of our firsts in the genre. The police detective’s daughter in that series is in the woods in our current series.