If you only could judge a book by its cover.

BR46

12 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Every part designed to attract readers. 

I guess their's a lot of disappointment readers out there. 

Wo46 has worked for a major grocery store chain all her working life and tells me about all the efforts on selling products. It's unbelievable on how much money is spent on store layouts, paint on the walls to the music playing in the stores just to get you to spend more. 

The Right to Arm Bears by [Dickson, Gordon R.]

Planet Dilbia is in a crucial location for both humans and their adversaries, the Hemnoids. Therefore making friends with the Dilbians and establishing a human presence there is of the utmost importance, which may be a problem, since the bearlike Dilbians; stand some nine feet tall, and have a high regard for physical prowess. They're not impressed by human technology, either. A real man, er, bear doesn't need machines to do his work for him.

But Dilbians are impressed by sharp thinking, and some have expressed a grudging admiration for the logical (and usually sneaky) mental maneuvers that the human "shorties" have used to get themselves out of desperate jams. Just maybe that old human craftiness will win over the Dilbians; to the human side. If not, we lose a nexus, and the Dilbians will learn just how unbearable Hemnoids can be...

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

The Right to Arm Bears by [Dickson, Gordon R.]

Planet Dilbia is in a crucial location for both humans and their adversaries, the Hemnoids. Therefore making friends with the Dilbians and establishing a human presence there is of the utmost importance, which may be a problem, since the bearlike Dilbians; stand some nine feet tall, and have a high regard for physical prowess. They're not impressed by human technology, either. A real man, er, bear doesn't need machines to do his work for him.

But Dilbians are impressed by sharp thinking, and some have expressed a grudging admiration for the logical (and usually sneaky) mental maneuvers that the human "shorties" have used to get themselves out of desperate jams. Just maybe that old human craftiness will win over the Dilbians; to the human side. If not, we lose a nexus, and the Dilbians will learn just how unbearable Hemnoids can be...

Sounds somewhat like the Man-Kzin Wars except it's cats instead of bears.

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

Book covers are meant to help readers judge whether to read, more and more. 

I talked to a writer about the publisher choice for his book’s cover, and he had zero control over the content. Every part designed to attract readers. 

I used to sit in those meetings and choose covers. It's fun, nitpicky, and difficult. We tore apart everything, especially what a cover would look like on a  phone. The most important component was does the cover convey what the book is about. I once gave an author all of the rejects. She loved it. 

I love Chip Kidd's cover designs.

• Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, dennis said:

I used to sit in those meetings and choose covers. It's fun, nitpicky, and difficult. We tore apart everything, especially what a cover would look like on a  phone. The most important component was does the cover convey what the book is about. I once gave an author all of the rejects. She loved it. 

I love Chip Kidd's cover designs.

How do I get that job?

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Sounds somewhat like the Man-Kzin Wars except it's cats instead of bears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Right_to_Arm_Bears  In this case the Bears are a third party caught between the two warring factions.  It was a bit tongue in cheek as you got to view humans from the point of view of intelligent bears.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, BR46 said:

Wo46 has worked for a major grocery store chain all her working life and tells me about all the efforts on selling products. It's unbelievable on how much money is spent on store layouts, paint on the walls to the music playing in the stores just to get you to spend more. 

I have read quite a bit about this, but from what I have actually seen and heard at the actual grocery stores, I am surprised that they don't lose more customers.  Their usual tactics generally just annoy me.

• Heart 2