P&R

Square Wheels

43 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

As of my last count, there are 42,042,042 other places on the internet where people discuss politics.  We don't need to be number 42,042,043.  

Yay for Cliff!  beerbeerbeer.gif.ea82bc7efec709b932fcf96f25e20de4.gif

My name may or may not be jsharr and I approve of this post

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

my name may or may not be jsharr, and I approve this thread!  

1000000 to 1 your funny thread didn't get slapped. Actually make that higher. I gave the best compliment I can give to you. It's gotten so bad I submit we need a list of words to AVOID. Because it's clearly a double standard in here. I'm serious. Give us a list of words.

26 minutes ago, Dottie said:

1000000 to 1 your funny thread didn't get slapped. Actually make that higher. I gave the best compliment I can give to you. It's gotten so bad I submit we need a list of words to AVOID. Because it's clearly a double standard in here. I'm serious. Give us a list of words.

They all got locked.  All by one standard. :) 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dottie said:

If you think a list of "words" will help then you don't understand.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, wilbur said:

They all got locked.  All by one standard. :) 

Yabbut I got a warning point. No surprise the one who continues to complain is the same guy who continues to proclaim he is not a mod. If I go down asking for clarity, public knowledge of the moderators, and standing up for myself and asking for all rules to be applied to everyone, so be it. He continues to harass me and I don't target him. If you aren't a mod, then STFU. If you are, then show yourself and put on the badge. 

13 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Still can't give up the mod thing, huh? Same old Max.

Stop being an ass and grow up.  I didn't complain about you.

In a month where Cliff has been pissed off enough to close P&R and several threads that were about P&R subjects you marched in and started a thread about a church and expected what?

Don't piss on this place and get it closed.

Still, I’d like to know what to avoid. 

I’m a debate team coach, and cannot talk about what my students are debating. 

I’m a journalism teacher and cannot talk about what my students are writing. 

There’s a chilling effect on the fullness of my personality under the P&R ban. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Stop being an ass and grow up.  I didn't complain about you.

In a month where Cliff has been pissed off enough to close P&R and several threads that were about P&R subjects you marched in and started a thread about a church and expected what?

Don't piss on this place and get it closed.

Max you and I really need to reach a truce. I like you. In fact, there is nobody in here I don't. Good people. But please stop targeting me.

• Heart 1

I am not for sure that you are not going to get this one locked.:whistle: It appears that it is the tone of things and the baiting that starts and doesn't stop, even when there is a warning  that upsets the leader.  One who pushes buttons needs to be prepared for the consequences. :P

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

I am not for sure that you are not going to get this one locked.:whistle: It appears that it is the tone of things and the baiting that starts and doesn't stop, even when there is a warning  that upsets the leader.  One who pushes buttons needs to be prepared for the consequences. :P

Mess with the ram you gotta deal with the horns

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Yabbut I got a warning point. No surprise the one who continues to complain is the same guy who continues to proclaim he is not a mod. If I go down asking for clarity, public knowledge of the moderators, and standing up for myself and asking for all rules to be applied to everyone, so be it. He continues to harass me and I don't target him. If you aren't a mod, then STFU. If you are, then show yourself and put on the badge. 

I agree with this.  Dottie, if you get screwed over and get points for this, I'll go down with you -- not on you.

• Haha 3

Just now, jsharr said:

Mess with the ram you gotta deal with the horns

I'm fully prepared. My conscience is clean. I will call out the pink elephant in the room. What's happening here is not right. If that falls on deaf ears, so be it. But it's going to get called out. I may get banned, but the reasoning will be unsound. 

1 minute ago, Genetically Modified Sofa said:

Does your bike have a saddle or seat?  Or are you riding the post?

You could be doing it wrong, Dottie.  Just say'in.

GMS

We rented a couple of hard tail MTBs. Honestly, they were hard or I am weak or a combination of the two. Soft living I guess 

• Awesome 1

29 minutes ago, Dottie said:

We rented a couple of hard tail MTBs. Honestly, they were hard or I am weak or a combination of the two. Soft living I guess 

You may want to take your own saddle next time.  I never liked the saddles on the spin bikes at the gym, and the feeling was mutual. All day on different saddle can lead to pain and loss of riding time.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

I want to talk about everything.

Most of us realize that when people talk politics or religion, that people can poke a little and have it be fun.  Sure, it can work out wrong sometimes, but the concepts behind things are very cool,  Very cool conceptual content can be based on religion or politics, and there are examples.  My post on "Jesus Christ Superstar" was fun,, and I felt like I wanted to say a couple of other things to the mythology of it all and how it was approached in the movie.  I didn't, mostly because I felt a person or two would go squawking or not, and if not, then maybe somebody might take it into the not fun side.  This bummed me out, because there I was altering behavior and we went missing out because of what others simply might do.  This is bad.  

Saying what we want (within reason) in the spirit of fun, or exploration, or debate, or even ignorance can all be good.  I have learned things here and in the LF that showed me different takes on things that made me more charitable in viewing other's different ideas, when presented in a certain light.  We simply can't go on not thinking for ourselves or being fun because of what a few might think,  That is nancy-boy millennial thinking right there..

This is the internet, and at some point, people have to be able to face a world that has different ideas and views, and to grow a bit of thickness to our skins.  It is one thing to be respectful, but it is entirely different to pander to the lowest common denominator and become mindless robots (no offense, parodybot).  I am being quite serious when I say that if you can't take a little poking or even have your beliefs questioned, perhaps the internet is not for you.  Again, I think most people here can take a bit of a poke and dish a poke out as well.

Anyway, knee-jerk pulling of whole posts is bad voodoo, especially if it is just one comment that can be or is simply being ignored by others.  I like the freedom to post things and see where they go, as long as the posts are obviously fun or insightful or serve as educational in some way.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

You need words?  What is it that folks do not understand about no P&R, and then you start threads about churches, scripture, and baiting about political catastrophes? Just curious. Hell no, I don't agree with SW shutting down P&R, but it is his forum.  We've had similar things happen on the local forum, but once they got it through the lady's head that the moderator funded the forum, she stopped threatening to get a lawyer.  Not seen her for a while.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

28 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I was cajoled into believing that leaving p&r open would help the rest of the site.  That did not prove to be true, not even close.

Many good people have left the site due to the bickering.  There are thousands of successful political sites for you to debate on.  This will not be one if them.

Sometimes people also leave a forum for completely different reasons.  

I occasionally wandered into the P&R to skim some topic threads.  A lot calmer and more coherent discussion in spirit, than probably many other forums outside of squarewheels cycling.  Seriously.

I sense over the years so far, those who participate in squarewheels cycling forums....are predominantly male...in joking and expression.  Hence, it's an achievement, a non-career/work/job forum hasn't degenerated often into mud and gutter jokes.  It is different and better than 10-15 years ago when there were more boob jokes, photos and other sexist jokes.  That's when I got tired..and left for a few years.  I was also tired of constant putdown jokes/trivialization about Canadians at that time.  Now it's less of that.  

As for the matter about race....there is a reality some of us can't ignore and try to do something about it.  Even in cycling, cycling for lifestyle, not even professional cycling (where it's still mainly white dudes in Tour du France).  In Vancouver about 20 years, it was that....fun cycling events were predominantly white/Causcasian participants.  I'm saying this....as someone who has been involved in cycling advocacy events, volunteer work..etc.  Now in 2019, that has changed in Vancouver and Toronto (abit in Calgary):   cycling includes way more diverse regular cyclists.. part of it was effort by local groups to de-emphasize cycling kit gearwear, outreach to immigrants on cycling skills, etc.  Make cycling way more accessible /less elitist looking in terms of cost/gear/clothing.  Just get a helmet, bike that fits you and have someone teach some skills/good safe routes.  Join the crowd. Learn from one another.

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Roadsue, I agree.  We can't be paranoid to avoid certain topics.  This is a cafe.

However it's squarewheels' forum, not ours.

If only all posters could deal with that concept.  Historically across the internet however that are topics that will go bad just as surely as the sun will come up each day.  Without a P&R to house those threads they eventually poison a place like the cafe.  Those threads and P&R itself are very time consuming for Wheels to manage and eventually they eat you up.  His decision to end P&R, although not the most popular, had some valid reasons from his point of view........and first and foremost, his point of view matters as this place exists only so long as he enjoys funding and hosting it.

The resulting edict of no P&R in the cafe requires a bit of thought from everyone.  You may think a subject is ok because you mean well, but you have to think where others might take it.  It is simply not possible (based on historical precedent) to start a thread on guns, politics, right to life, the church and several other topics where a great divide exists between the sides involved without it going down the same road eventually.  That ends in more bad feelings, more work for wheels and less reason to have this place.

It's on all of us.

But yes, some of the topics were fun before they weren't.  Such is life.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Dottie said:

Meh.. I get warning points all the time.. :)  There have been times SW wanted to fry my bacon ass.  Cheese threatened to ban me once too.  I may have deserved that.. :) 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

If only all posters could deal with that concept.  Historically across the internet however that are topics that will go bad just as surely as the sun will come up each day.  Without a P&R to house those threads they eventually poison a place like the cafe.  Those threads and P&R itself are very time consuming for Wheels to manage and eventually they eat you up.  His decision to end P&R, although not the most popular, had some valid reasons from his point of view........and first and foremost, his point of view matters as this place exists only so long as he enjoys funding and hosting it.

The resulting edict of no P&R in the cafe requires a bit of thought from everyone.  You may think a subject is ok because you mean well, but you have to think where others might take it.  It is simply not possible (based on historical precedent) to start a thread on guns, politics, right to life, the church and several other topics where a great divide exists between the sides involved without it going down the same road eventually.  That ends in more bad feelings, more work for wheels and less reason to have this place.

It's on all of us.

But yes, some of the topics were fun before they weren't.  Such is life.

Apparently my yoga thread was too much for some. It was a nice topic. Happy. Part of my recent joy. 

Yoga can be religious to some. 

17 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Apparently my yoga thread was too much for some. It was a nice topic. Happy. Part of my recent joy. 

Yoga can be religious to some. 

It didn't remain a yoga thread very long before it was derailed.   It was nice up to that point.  Yoga and Hinduism have the same roots but both diverged from those roots.  I don't know anyone in the west that considers yoga, religion.   It is a safe topic, I think. 

19 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Can't talk about the pump track progress. It involves community involvement and grant $

Can't talk about my pt stuff. Oops. Medical. That is a political hot button.

I think you have to look more at the intent of the rules rather than the reaching extensions of topics. 

11 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I was cajoled into believing that leaving p&r open would help the rest of the site.  That did not prove to be true, not even close.

Many good people have left the site due to the bickering.  There are thousands of successful political sites for you to debate on.  This will not be one if them.

I like having a pleasant place to share stories with community. You’ve done well here. :loveshower:

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I'm sad about the whole sorry process which led to P&R being dropped, and am not unconscious of the fact that some opponents of its actual conception, actually participated in the forum...... yet celebrated its demise. These two facts may not be unconnected.

A pity.....as I like to think well of people.