Ok or replace

Longjohn

I posted in cycling and gear but nobody sees it there. I washed my bike today and noticed the tires might have limited life left in them. 

Front tire

2E191E22-2004-4FE5-891A-D02B4AD91022.thumb.jpeg.2372c22f75e327a7ef58efb16585af13.jpeg

Rear tire

73FB136E-71A8-4D2B-80A8-598DEF23F8FC.thumb.jpeg.554eedebce2bb6b2162fe12781b89cf8.jpeg

My wife says replace them both. That rear tire doesn’t have that many miles on it. I have one new tire, I’ll have to pick up one more. I’m riding with a couple friends on Monday, going to try to do my birthday miles that I missed when I had to take WOLJ to the hospital.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Further said:

I would replace them. But I don't like flats. And I really don't like blow outs. Especially at speed.

Neither of these tires has ever had a flat. I think these hard case tires have a tough casing. If Garth had these tires he would probably ride them another year. I remember the photos of his tires with the cords showing and he said they were still ok until the cords start wearing through.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Neither of these tires has ever had a flat. I think these hard case tires have a tough casing. If Garth had these tires he would probably ride them another year. I remember the photos of his tires with the cords showing and he said they were still ok until the cords start wearing through.

Wow, sounds like a real cheap bastard! 

Nice. :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Wow, sounds like a real cheap bastard! 

Nice. :D

Do you remember Garth from the old place? He posted mostly in the cycling related forums and seldom on the Love Forum. His whole family rode a crap ton of miles per year. I don’t think they owned a car. He had his own chain treatment using graphite and melted wax that he was known for. Gave him like 10,000 mile chain life. He also used Vaseline for chamois cream and didn’t wash his bike shorts.

• Heart 3

Just now, Longjohn said:

Do you remember Garth from the old place? He posted mostly in the cycling related forums and seldom on the Love Forum. His whole family rode a crap ton of miles per year. I don’t think they owned a car. He had his own chain treatment using graphite and melted wax that he was known for. Gave him like 10,000 mile chain life. He also used Vaseline for chamois cream and didn’t wash his bike shorts.

Yes, I do remember the chain deal.  Funny, my wife's friend's husband was just mentioning how he likes to take his chain off and soak it in wax and I was thinking, man, what a lot of work!

• Heart 2

I kept looking at tire reviews, and found this:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/touring-tyres-rolling-resistance-testing/

The tire with the lowest rolling resistance also has impressive toughness and durability:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/Marathon_Almotion

https://www.cyclingabout.com/schwalbe-tyres-the-best-for-touring/

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Further said:

I would replace them. But I don't like flats. And I really don't like blow outs. Especially at speed.

What! Where is your excitement in life? Live a little. ?

Me? I gave up pushing worn out blue jeans, stretching usefulness by cutting off and the scraggly edges back in the 70's. Look good...get new tires.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, late said:

I kept looking at tire reviews, and found this:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/touring-tyres-rolling-resistance-testing/

The tire with the lowest rolling resistance also has impressive toughness and durability:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/Marathon_Almotion

https://www.cyclingabout.com/schwalbe-tyres-the-best-for-touring/

The schwalb tires look good. Maybe if my LBS doesn’t have anything in stock today I’ll order some online. That won’t help me on Monday’s ride.

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

First off, I'd replace those tires about 1K miles ago.

I also used the melted wax and graphite treatment. I even have a crock pot for it. Amazing chain life. I think that it was Friction Facts that showed it to be the best for low friction and lasting the longest between lubes plus good in dust and mud. Unfortunately two of my bikes have 11-speed chains and they don't have quick links to make removing the chain easier. I should clarify that; Shimano does make a quick link but it can only be used once. I haven't checked in a while to see if Sram or Wipperman have come up with something reusable. The cost of the Shimano quick links makes it more cost effective to use a slightly inferior lube and just replace the chain more often. I still use the melted wax on bikes with less than 11-speeds such as my tandem.

• Awesome 1

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Gave him like 10,000 mile chain life. He also used Vaseline for chamois cream and didn’t wash his bike shorts.

I miss Garth.  

If you rode before the mid 80’s the “chamois” in your shorts was actually chamois.  You didn’t want to wash it often as then it was a piece of sand paper on your butt.  So it wasn’t just him, very few of us did and Vaseline was the go to chamois cream.

Now though I wash my bibs after each ride.

• Heart 2