Today, is a good day to start

Wilbur

26 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Christmas baking.  First batch of shortbread is done (9 more to go) and fruit is getting all brandy soaked for the fruitcake. 

Ok, question.  First, how do you bake for Christmas now when Christmas is some few days away still.   Secondly, fruit cake?  What is the story there?

Just now, Randomguy said:

This could be true, but still, fruitcake?  Why?  I am in need of enlightenment, despite most probably never having had even mediocre fruitcake and the whole concept as I understand it seems wrongish.

Because we can.. You see, much like alcohol in the USA, fruitcake was at one time banned in Europe because it was thought to be too opulent, rich and flavourful.   The revival must be celebrated annually. 

• Heart 2

37 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Because we can.. You see, much like alcohol in the USA, fruitcake was at one time banned in Europe because it was thought to be too opulent, rich and flavourful.   The revival must be celebrated annually. 

Is this true?  I am skeptical that more than 100 people on earth like fruitcake.  When I visit Canadaland, I will expect to try some of yours.

• Heart 1