Omens for my birthday that led my to my restaurant choice

MickinMD

"How about 11:15 am on October 1st?" she asked.

That was the beginning of it. The next October 1st is my 69th birthday.

Yesterday, my doctor's office called me to reschedule next week's diabetes blood test followup appointment - the Doc will be at a "conference."

"Anything 11 am or later works best for me," I said.

"How about 11:15 am on October 1st?" she asked,

"That's fine," I replied, "I guess no one's throwing a birthday party for me that early in the day."

Just now, I've got "The Lonesome Reunion" a 1958 episode of "Maverick,"  on the TV while I've been going over my budget.

Bret (James Garner) is trying to find out what an ex-con has to do with $120,000 and asks a Denver newspaper publisher if "$120,000" means anything to him in terms of robberies.

The publisher answers, "Yeah. The Land and Stage Company Robbery. $120,000. Last October, uh [I knew what was coming!], the 1st."

So, in the best spirit of "A Beautiful Mind," where the main, slightly-insane character keeps seeing conspiracies in the way words are arranged in newspaper articles, it appears that something unusual is going to happen on my birthday where the numbers 11, 15, and 12 or 11:15 and 120,000 are involved.

I googled them and came up with little of interest except:

There are all kinds of Biblical quotes with the numbers 11, 15, 12, but that's too convenient even though I like how 2 Corinthians 11: 12-15, begins: "And I will keep on doing what I am doing..."

In 1862, from Dec. 11 to 15, Burnside's 120,000 man union army attacked Fredericksburg, VA.  But, as a student of the Civil War who has visited the Fredericksburg Battlefield, I know when one union soldier said to another, "I can't believe Lee is letting us get into Fredericksburg so easy," the other replied prophetically, "I bet it won't be so easy gettin' back out."  So I don't think I want my birthday to end like Fredericksburg did for the Union Army. Besides I don't have long sideburns - which are named after Burnside.

Three of us in the family, my brother, his wife, and me have birthdays close together on Sept. 19 & 26 and Oct. 1 and have reached the point where birthday parties, presents, etc. are unnecessary - we party enough otherwise, so we arrange a nice dinner each year at a nice restaurant for a dozen or so of us to jointly celebrate our birthdays.

Two of those who would be celebrating with us are currently suffering from kidney stones, so that eliminates meat-centric places like Fogo de Chão, the great Brazilian steakhouse in Baltimore where you gorge yourself on all the steak, chicken, pork prepared in so many delicious ways plus excellent sides and drinks.

So what about crab cakes?  On a "kidney friendly eating" page on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/pkdfoundation/kidney-friendly-eating/) are 18 food items, including:

image.png.0229e6960c1d7d30bd5f43b0dd33ba34.png

Yeah, I know there's a difference between Kidney-friendly and Kidney stone-friendly, but being good for the former should mean it's not bad for the latter, so I'll take what I can get!

When I Google "crab cakes" nothing except recipes comes up at the top, but when I Google "crab cakes 11 12 15", the FIRST Google entry is:

image.png.e4b0830b4195f5d010b8a42e08f80cfd.png

G & M, in my opinion and that of a plurality of local media awards, serves the best crab cakes in Maryland (and therefore the world).  Prices are reasonable: $24 for a single (almost softball-size) crab cake platter (2 sides). If you order the double-crab cake platter for $35 if's because you want to take one home in a doggy bag. G&M used to NOT take reservations, but does now.  My 1st choice of sides, french fries, are not good for kidney stones but my 2nd choice, cole slaw is good and there are other friendly choices.

So that's it. The numbers say G&M.  I'll have to get everyone else to agree to G&M, but it won't be a hard sell.

• Heart 1