How often do you wash your bike shorts?

Road Runner

How many rides before you throw them in the dirty bike shorts pile?

I think I may have exceeded the legal limit on the current pair I am wearing.  They are my favorite pair and it is hard to set them aside for a more uncomfortable but clean pair.

What say you?

I am pretty sure this is one area of my life that I am not living right.   :unsure:

• Heart 1

I used to be pretty adamant about clean exercise clothes, that has passed.

If my clothes are soaked I throw them in the wash, just a bit damp I let them dry and wear again. And again....

Bike shorts with cream...wash every time.

I don't ride that far anymore, and wear underwear, so the underwear always gets washed...  

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have 10 pairs.  There is never an issue wondering about a clean pair.  I ride just about every day and hate laundry

I have about 5 pairs.  I need to buy more, I guess.  But of the 5, only 2 are my favorites.  The other three I can wear, but they chafe me, or are too tight, or whatever.  I lost one of my "good" pairs during a crash.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I have about 5 pairs.  I need to buy more, I guess.  But of the 5, only 2 are my favorites.  The other three I can wear, but they chafe me, or are too tight, or whatever.  I lost one of my "good" pairs during a crash.

I have 4 really good pairs.  The rest are meh.  Older, pads are minimalist.  I wear the crappy ones to work and back.  

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I have 4 really good pairs.  The rest are meh.  Older, pads are minimalist.  I wear the crappy ones to work and back.  

I thought you washed them every ride, riding in crappy shorts sounds discusting.

9 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I don't do that.  I'm not an animal.  :)

I hang them up to dry in the garage between rides.  I don't use chamois cream, just some baby powder.

Haven’t you seen all the lawyer ads, baby powder causes ovarian cancer.

9 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I don't have a wife to wash them for me.  :( :rolleyes:

My wife hasn’t done my laundry since she started working outside the home. I have done her laundry for the last few years.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I thought you washed them every ride, riding in crappy shorts sounds discusting.

Haven’t you seen all the lawyer ads, baby powder causes ovarian cancer.

My wife hasn’t done my laundry since she started working outside the home. I have done her laundry for the last few years.

LJ, you are a keeper! :)

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, groupw said:

Normally wash after every ride. It’s time to buy a couple pairs of new shorts. I bought a couple no-name kits and the pads are surprisingly good! 

I've got four "good" shorts and four "good" bibs in rotation with a box full of "retired" stuff as well.  Generally, four rides with clean shorts/bibs a week lines up well with our dark load wash cycle of one dark load a week - pretty much all bike stuff, my daily underwear and socks, and my wife's exercise pants (assortment of black yoga type pants).  Light and color loads are way more variable in frequency.

4 hours ago, Zephyr said:

When commuting back and forth to work, a mere 6 miles and not breaking a sweat, I wear my commuter shorts (with underwear) and will wear them for several days.

If I am going for a real ride, I wear them once then wash.  I have quite a few pairs so always have clean ones to wear

I have a 3 mile commute. I just wear my "civvies". I ride easy on the way in so I don't arrive sweaty. On the way home, I don't care, because I change when I get home! There are some "Breathable" brands of underwear that make this far more comfortable. I'm commando under bike shorts, though. 

I wash them after every ride. Sometimes mid-ride on the longer routes if there’s clean water. I’m of the age where I don’t care what people think. Squatting bare-ass by a creek or river, pounding the chamois with a rock. On a hot day it’s nice to put on clean cool shorts. It’s ok ? f they’re wet, they’re wicking right? Be dry in no time.

• Awesome 2

On 9/15/2019 at 9:16 PM, Road Runner said:

I would suggest you only have two pairs. Don’t wear shorts that hurt. Buy more.

I don’t know what you pay for good shorts, but I  have taken to buying the bibs of former pro cycling teams. Teams that no longer exist and therefore heavily discounted, but pro quality. Procyclegear.com I think is one site.

• Heart 2

26 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Well...depends on the ride...I might get 2 wears in before I wash them..BUT The Great Adventure...yeah....that was rough...2 pairs of bike shorts...not always access to clean water... WE SMELLED....yup we did ALL OF US!!!

I may have smelled but I did wear clean shorts each day. I threw eight pairs of bike shorts and eight jerseys in my bob trailer along with the kitchen sink. When I had all that cargo space no sense skimping on anything. It’ snot like we had to do any climbing.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t know what you pay for good shorts, but I  have taken to buying the bibs of former pro cycling teams. Teams that no longer exist and therefore heavily discounted, but pro quality. Procyclegear.com I think is one site.

I was tempted by those one time because I’m cheap but I don’t want to wear a team kit and I don’t like bibs.

15 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Working at the LBS helps with the cost. When we sell 15, we get one free. I have three Gore bib shorts and one PI. Gore thermal tights, bib knickers and I just ordered some PI thermal tights as winter is coming. No charge. 

• Awesome 1