I'm giving up a $10k raise in pay

JerrySTL

I received two job offers yesterday each paying $10k per year than I am getting now. I don't think that I'm going to take either offer. It really isn't that much as (1) I am only working until June and (2) their 401k match isn't vested for a few years. I'm vested where I work now for 3% match so that's about $3k there. So call it around $5k raise.  

My current job is OK except for the government guy in charge of it. He's a jerk. If he pisses me off I can always get another job or just retire. 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

guy in charge of it. He's a jerk. If he pisses me off I can always get another job or just retire. 

That's the way my job was until one day he just pissed me off enuff that I just said f-this and I retired. 

• Awesome 3

2 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I took an $8k paycut the last time I switched jobs.  It was 100% worth it. 

I’m taking a $12k pay cut in November in order to not have to directly report to a particular administrator any more. If it gives me as much clearance of him as I hope, it will be totally worth it. I can make up the difference elsewhere, even if it means more weekend/holiday work.

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m taking a $12k pay cut in November in order to not have to directly report to a particular administrator any more

That was exactly why I did it. I went from a job I really thought I would retire from to a job I hated every minute I was there. It was all because a great boss was replaced with a terrible boss.  

I do have the regret that when the terrible boss quit, I honestly believe I could have stepped into his place. The person they hired is amazing. I think I would have enjoyed working under him.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I do have the regret that when the terrible boss quit, I honestly believe I could have stepped into his place.

I turned down a position years ago that was later filled by this prick, who was at that time just up-and-coming. That was his foot in the door. It was a job that I would have hated, and he wasn’t terrible then, so I don’t really regret that. But I then actually recommended to our boss that he’d be good in another role, too. THAT is when he turned into an egotistical monster.

Hmm.  I voluntarily left a job that had a national role for a private sector firm.  Yea, it was ok pay. 

And then moved to another province where I had to look for work. (And found something less).  Looking back, I realized I had reached my personal limit in management politics. It was a job that did help me grow other skills.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Hmm.  I voluntarily left a job that had a national role for a private sector firm.  Yea, it was ok pay. 

And then moved to another province where I had to look for work. (And found something less).  Looking back, I realized I had reached my personal limit in management politics. It was a job that did help me grow other skills.

And since then, I did take upon 2 other jobs which were management. 1 of the jobs was a 3 hr. round daily trip commute....I kept telling myself this is only a contract job.

I get paid decently now...without the management stuff. It is enormous relief to do one's job well and now, watch from the sidelines.  Actually some ugly stuff brewing at the higher levels.