So is this a Dagwood burger?

Ralphie

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

They used a good bit of artistic license in adding all that extra bread!  The original has loads of crap, but only TWO slices of bread, Dangit!

Sometimes I make them with toast just to ease the bread load on a great burger.  I learned to cook that sort of sandwich when I was a busboy at a Frendly's Ice Cream emporium.  Did you have those and the "Big Beef" back during the last century?  Some turned into Newport Creamery's later.  Many went under and the parent company may have declared bankruptcy as well.  Sad.  That was the go to hamburger back in the day.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Sometimes I make them with toast just to ease the bread load on a great burger.  I learned to cook that sort of sandwich when I was a busboy at a Frendly's Ice Cream emporium.  Did you have those and the "Big Beef" back during the last century?  Some turned into Newport Creamery's later.  Many went under and the parent company may have declared bankruptcy as well.  Sad.  That was the go to hamburger back in the day.

My kids grew up with friendly’s, for better or worse. They were nice family restaurants. Still a few around here but some have closed. They unfortunately got sort of a reputation for slow service.  I liked Happy Endings but haven’t had one in years. :P

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

37 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My kids grew up with friendly’s, for better or worse. They were nice family restaurants. Still a few around here but some have closed. They unfortunately got sort of a reputation for slow service.  I liked Happy Endings but haven’t had one in years. :P

I worked for them the summer after High School while saving money for college circa 1964.  Back the a cheeseburger was rare compared to a regular hamburger.  The big beef was a square patty of high grade hamburger (I've used ground steak in my attempts to copy) cooked on a griddle so hot that the outside would brown to crispness while the inside was still pink.  They were served on buttered toast and cut in half so you could pick them up.  Perhaps they are the reason that for years people nicknamed me wimpy.

Surely it was for no other reason.

• Haha 1