How much do you believe in fart?

Razors Edge

...but I really think both have probably spent a good bit of time thinking about this sort of thing.

Poop shame is real — and it disproportionately affects women, who suffer from higher rates of irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease. In other words, the patriarchy has seeped into women’s intestinal tracts. Let’s call it the pootriarchy.

Girls aren’t born with poo shame — it’s something they’re taught.

In “Psychology in the Bathroom,” the psychologist Nicholas Haslam writes that girls tend to be toilet trained earlier than boys, learning at a young age to neatly keep their bodily functions contained (our words, not his).

When those girls get a bit older, they learn to pass gas silently — while boys do it loudly, and think it’s hilarious. (Yes, there is a kind of Kinsey scale to gas-passing and it goes like this: According to a study called “Fecal Matters” that was published in a journal called “Social Problems,” adult heterosexual men are far more likely to engage in scatological humor than heterosexual women and are more likely to report intentionally passing gas. Gay men are less likely to intentionally pass gas than heterosexual women, and lesbian women are somewhere in between.)

“If a boy farts, everyone laughs, including the boy,” said Sarah Albee, the author of “Poop Happened!: A History of the World from the Bottom Up.” “If a girl farts, she is mortified.”

Which is not to say that anxious poopers or audible flatulators of all genders don’t exist: Indeed, a male friend of ours, a U.S. Marine, recently explained that he often changes out of his military uniform and into another while on base in order to enter an entirely different facility to use the restroom. (He was one of three individuals who responded to a survey we sent out to 100 people, mostly women, about fecal habits at work. Even with the cloak of anonymity, apparently nobody wanted to talk about it.)

But while boys and men are more likely to develop “paruresis,” the D.S.M.-recognized medical term for pee-shyness — theorized by some to stem, in part, from the pressure of standing next to each other at open urinals — it is women who are more likely to have “parcopresis,” the corresponding bowel movement anxiety, which is not in the D.S.M., according to a variety of fecal scholars.

“The bathroom is saturated with gender in fascinating ways,” said Mr. Haslam, a professor of psychology at the University of Melbourne, who noted that women’s aversion, particularly at work, is not entirely unfounded: One unpublished study he mentions in his book found that a woman who excused herself to go to the bathroom was evaluated more negatively than one who excused herself to tend to “paperwork” — while there was no difference in the way participants viewed the men.

“At one level it’s an association of women with purity,” said Mr. Haslam, referring to the double standard. “At another it’s a double standard applied to hygiene and civility, where the weight falls disproportionately on women to be clean, odorless and groomed.”

Or, as one of the woman interviewed in that “Fecal Matters” study put it: “Women are supposed to be non-poopers.”

Just now, jsharr said:

Karma!  Yay!  Could you run his edited post through the karma meter and let me know what he is going to be reincarnated as?

My money is on a shit house rat or pubic lice.

I want you all to know how proud I am of this post!  Some of my best work ever, if I was into that sort of self aggrandizement.

Just now, jsharr said:

I want you all to know how proud I am of this post!  Some of my best work ever, if I was into that sort of self aggrandizement.

It was Razor's post.  You simply made like CheeseCurds and posted some indirectly related videos.

Pubic lice.

In Japan for some public washrooms, you can play music to cover up toilet noises.  Or someone in another cubicle constantly flushing the toilet. What a waste of water.  (Or maybe she has an eating disorder and is barfing into the toilet?  Or maybe she's pregnant and barfing into the toilet...)

I think there is truth to the article about girls/women tend to be poop-shamed..etc.  

Like girls aren't supposed to burp or belch.  Come on....how much more silly can we get. here?

It depends on family upbringing:  but I will say this...growing up in house with only 1 bathroom for 2 adults and 6 children... we did laugh at each other's farts.  because you really can't escape fast enough at times to another room.

I used to think my parents were uncouth when they did laugh....  but looking back, it was probably a healthy attitude about bodily noises.