5 inches in an hour? Seattle has maxed out at 5 inches in 24 hours

Dottleshead

Beaumont, Texas got 5 inches of rain in an hour!  Seattle has only ever gotten 5 inches in 24 hours once.  You think about that next time you make a PNW rain joke. 

Torrential rains swept through Seattle on Oct. 20, 2003, making for the wettest day in the city’s history. 5.02 inches of rain was measured in the gauge at Sea-Tac Airport, shattering the previous daily rainfall record of 3.41 inches from Nov. 20, 1959. 

Question:  Do Texans wear flannels and rubbers for 24 hours?  I'll bet they use umbrellas.

High and dry in Richardson.  Went out last night with a bunch of guys from high school.  Good times and beer were had.  Got up this AM and packed by back pack for the camp out this weekend.  Top of the pack is my rain gear and pack cover.  

It is raining a bit in Dallas, but nothing like what the poor folks in SE Texas are getting.

Our CTO and Dir. of Marketing were supposed to be in Houston for show yesterday.  I texted the CEO to ask if anyone had thought to check with the show people to see if the event was still on.

CEO called me an alarmist.

30 minutes later the show was cancelled due to the building being closed due to flooding down in Texas.  Luckily the telephone lines were not down and we were able to give our guys a heads up and they turned around and came home.

9 hours ago, Dottie said:

Beaumont, Texas got 5 inches of rain in an hour! 

I mentioned the insanity I experienced a couple months ago when we got four inches in a single hour.  It was pandemonium commuting that day.

Of course, back to normal the next, but folks around here are tougher than most.

56 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I mentioned the insanity I experienced a couple months ago when we got four inches in a single hour.  It was pandemonium commuting that day.

Of course, back to normal the next, but folks around here are tougher than most.

That's nuts.  I will repeat.  The worse Seattle has ever had it has been 5 inches of rain in a day.  It would appear you and Texas are the champs.

1 minute ago, Dottie said:

That's nuts.  I will repeat.  The worse Seattle has ever had it has been 5 inches of rain in a month.  It would appear you and Texas are the champs.

And, FTR, four inches was considered "a month's worth", so that would imply we normally get 4" of rain in a month - not a "worst case" sort of thing.

I was staying in the Stockyards many years ago during a tropical depression.  I was shocked by A: how fast the streets completely flooded and B: how fast that water drained away.   Looking out my hotel window, there were drunk cowboys showering in the run-off from a shed roof.  Funny stuff. 

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

High and dry in Richardson.  Went out last night with a bunch of guys from high school.  Good times and beer were had.  Got up this AM and packed by back pack for the camp out this weekend.  Top of the pack is my rain gear and pack cover.  

It is raining a bit in Dallas, but nothing like what the poor folks in SE Texas are getting.

Our CTO and Dir. of Marketing were supposed to be in Houston for show yesterday.  I texted the CEO to ask if anyone had thought to check with the show people to see if the event was still on.

CEO called me an alarmist.

30 minutes later the show was cancelled due to the building being closed due to flooding down in Texas.  Luckily the telephone lines were not down and we were able to give our guys a heads up and they turned around and came home.

Are you sure he didn't just call you alarming and you misheard.

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

Luckily the telephone lines were not down and we were able to give our guys a heads up and they turned around and came home.

So you rewarded their lack of initiative?  How will they learn to be adults if they don't first learn to be responsible for their own actions???? You did them a disservice.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Damn, you are an idiot.

When they move into your basement because of their failure to make it on their own, you're gonna regret all the hand holding and helicoptering you did for the CTO and Dir. of Marketing . 

Maybe your CEO bud has a bigger basement and you can pawn them off onto him?  He did encourage you with his "alarmist" comment and knew it would push you further into micro-managing the lives of others. :(