Found the leak.

maddmaxx

It's taken a couple of months to find an intermittent leak in the kitchen..........remember the dishwasher replacement?

Well, it appears to be in an in wall pipe that is the master drain for the sink and dishwasher.  The copper pipe is behind the kitchen cabinetry and inside the wall.  It's pretty inaccessible.  It's also outside of my range of plumbing repair.  I don't even know if the back has to be cut out of the under sink cabinet or if it has to be accessed from outside though the siding and wall.

Bummer.  I can feel my wallet puckering.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wilbur said:

This could be a major plumbing refit.  eek!

Yep.  There's about 3 feet of invisible pipe in there beginning at the top with some sort of L box where the sink plumbing enters the wall.  At the ceiling of the basement wash room the hole in the floor where the pipe comes out is soaked.  I found that today after ripping out the insulation up there.  I'm scared about how much damage was done inside the wall by the water.

I wonder if my insurance company can be dragged into this?

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, roadsue said:

"dragged"? Why, you say that as though insurance companies don't love to assist their faithful homeowners with untimely damages caused by aging fixtures covered under a longstanding policy. 

I live in the Insurance capital state of the country.  I know many people who receive exorbitant salaries for figuring out ways to deny claims.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I live in the Insurance capital state of the country.  I know many people who receive exorbitant salaries for figuring out ways to deny claims.

So, invite a few over for drinks and appetizers. They’ll notice the big hole in your wall and be compelled to ask what’s up. They’ll be reaching for the company checkbook. 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Further said:

Tearing it apart & fixing the leak is not that hard. Putting it back to the way was might be involved..

At 73, with a bad shoulder, this is probably not going to happen.  Years ago I used to deal with these sorts of problems.  Not so much now. No trustworthy relatives left to help.  If it was piping in the open I might tackle it but inside an external wall stuff is beyond my ability.

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

At 73, with a bad shoulder, this is probably not going to happen.  Years ago I used to deal with these sorts of problems.  Not so much now. No trustworthy relatives left to help.  If it was piping in the open I might tackle it but inside an external wall stuff is beyond my ability.

If you lived closer I would come and help.   

• Heart 2

By code, A/C condensate is supposed to be routed to a floor drain.  In our house it is, but the floor drain is inside a wall under the water heater and the drain clogged, condensate line backed up and the first sign was warped wood floors, yay.

So last week I ran a new condensate line out of the attic, through the soffet and out to our front flower beds.  I will convert this to a drip irrigation for the crepe myrtles, lantana and roses and leave room to add a cistern to collect the water for use on the seasonal flowers as well.

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

By code, A/C condensate is supposed to be routed to a floor drain.  In our house it is, but the floor drain is inside a wall under the water heater and the drain clogged, condensate line backed up and the first sign was warped wood floors, yay.

So last week I ran a new condensate line out of the attic, through the soffet and out to our front flower beds.  I will convert this to a drip irrigation for the crepe myrtles, lantana and roses and leave room to add a cistern to collect the water for use on the seasonal flowers as well.

See the source image

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My AC unit sits right over the top of the floor drain.  It's fine when everything is functioning normal.  It sucks when the floor drain clogs up and you can't run a snake through it.  So I ran a "T" off the condensation drain off my AC unit.  Capped the drain end and put a 3/8" hose adapter onto the T.  The hose now drains into a condensation pump that pumps water out to another "T" that I have put into the sink drain.  It's pretty dope.  Has been there for about 10 years now with no issues. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

My AC unit sits right over the top of the floor drain.  It's fine when everything is functioning normal.  It sucks when the floor drain clogs up and you can't run a snake through it.  So I ran a "T" off the condensation drain off my AC unit.  Capped the drain end and put a 3/8" hose adapter onto the T.  The hose now drains into a condensation pump that pumps water out to another "T" that I have put into the sink drain.  It's pretty dope.  Has been there for about 10 years now with no issues. 

WORD!

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Did you ever notice that after the metric system question that Samuel L Jackson calls Brett "Brad"?  Ruined the movie for me.

Yes, in fact when I googled for that GIF I actually googled (accidentally) "check out the big brain on brad"

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is that Sprite?

From some Hawaiian burger joint.   

• Heart 1

Just now, Parr8hed said:

Yes, in fact when I googled for that GIF I actually googled (accidentally) "check out the big brain on brad"

From some Hawaiian burger joint.   

Actually, I lied.  Nothing could ruin Pulp Fiction for me.  It could have been improved a bit if they wasted the mousy screaming chick at the diner, but other than that, it is good.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Actually, I lied.  Nothing could ruin Pulp Fiction for me.  It could have been improved a bit if they wasted the mousy screaming chick at the diner, but other than that, it is good.

So well done.  Travolta had a huge comeback after that movie.  He was just awesome.  I would love to know what made Quentin cast Travolta in that flick.  He went on to make some of my fav movies of that era. 

I still quote that movie all of the time. 

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

So well done.  Travolta had a huge comeback after that movie.  He was just awesome.  I would love to know what made Quentin cast Travolta in that flick.  He went on to make some of my fav movies of that era. 

I still quote that movie all of the time. 

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0c8e0a41-aed2-45fb-9fe8-25e2a9bbccc5

• Heart 1

Double crap.  The mitigation survey was here early this evening.  They are going to have to rip up my kitchen as the sub floor is showing 100% water penetration about half way across the room.  Some kitchen cabinets will have to come out, don't know how many till the water is all tracked down.  The leak was worse than I thought but it was hiding the water.  They may start as early as tomorrow.  IMO this part is good with the insurance company according to my policy.  Fortunately they do all the "opening up" so the next stage of fixing the pipe will be a relatively easy task for a plumber.  Then I will need a contractor to put the kitchen back together.

There's going to be a lot of take out and grill cooking well into October.

I'm bummed and popping antacid tabs.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 2

13 hours ago, jsharr said:

May be a little different here as my AC is next to the washer drain...but they ran the AC condensation line out the house to drip on the soil next to the exterior AC unit. Last week the AC people had to come out as thermostat would go dead then eventually come back on. Algae buildup in the drain line was clogging it and thankfully the cutoff valve was working like it should as water backed up in the line. It would slowly drain where the thermostate and AC would come back on, then cut off again as the water built up. Wet/dry vac sucked the film out the line and the followed up with a solution that brought the rest out. Apparently, I have an all aluminum coil, which is good, but the older models had a copper turn for each row. While technically they with react to each other and why all aluminum is preferred, the copper would let off a chemical that kept the algae under control. Due to my maintenance contract, only charge was a strip they placed in the unit for $38 that would keep algae from forming. Also stated would help if poured a cup of white vinegar in every few moths...but never use bleach.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Double crap.  The mitigation survey was here early this evening.  They are going to have to rip up my kitchen as the sub floor is showing 100% water penetration about half way across the room.  Some kitchen cabinets will have to come out, don't know how many till the water is all tracked down.  The leak was worse than I thought but it was hiding the water.  They may start as early as tomorrow.  IMO this part is good with the insurance company according to my policy.  Fortunately they do all the "opening up" so the next stage of fixing the pipe will be a relatively easy task for a plumber.  Then I will need a contractor to put the kitchen back together.

Sorry.  It's horrible.  At least(maybe?) your insurance will cover something.  My water line fix is going into the thousands out of my pocket. The worst part about it is dealing with the plumbers.  Some of them charge you $189 bucks just to give you an estimate -- but if you go with them -- they'll apply it to your bill.  It's highway robbery. Because my line is 40 years old and there are no schematics of it anywhere, they are all more or less recommending I replace the line as troubleshooting it and digging up the yard may or may not get the leak.  And the fix isn't going to be easy (or cheap).  Sorry you are going through this Max.  I know how you feel.

I have a plumber coming out tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday.

10 hours ago, Tizeye said:

May be a little different here as my AC is next to the washer drain...but they ran the AC condensation line out the house to drip on the soil next to the exterior AC unit. Last week the AC people had to come out as thermostat would go dead then eventually come back on. Algae buildup in the drain line was clogging it and thankfully the cutoff valve was working like it should as water backed up in the line. It would slowly drain where the thermostate and AC would come back on, then cut off again as the water built up. Wet/dry vac sucked the film out the line and the followed up with a solution that brought the rest out. Apparently, I have an all aluminum coil, which is good, but the older models had a copper turn for each row. While technically they with react to each other and why all aluminum is preferred, the copper would let off a chemical that kept the algae under control. Due to my maintenance contract, only charge was a strip they placed in the unit for $38 that would keep algae from forming. Also stated would help if poured a cup of white vinegar in every few moths...but never use bleach.

So the floor drain was open, or had a 1" pipe from it to a utility closet.  The condensate line terminated just inside the open pipe.  So the back up and shut off valve could never work, as the system was open, not closed.  Accident waiting to happen and I did not realize this until too late.  Now I have some warped floors that I hope lay back down, other wise I will have to replace them.

13 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Sorry Max.

Here is what I imagine this process will look like

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So the floor drain was open, or had a 1" pipe from it to a utility closet.  The condensate line terminated just inside the open pipe.  So the back up and shut off valve could never work, as the system was open, not closed.  Accident waiting to happen and I did not realize this until too late.  Now I have some warped floors that I hope lay back down, other wise I will have to replace them.

Yeah, I have run into a few homes like that where have ceiling stains with the AC unit on the second floor. Line backs up and either didn't have the shutoff valve or it was defective not shutting off the AC when water reached it, and the excess flooded the base of the air handler seeping out on the floor and dripping through the ceiling. But what caused the clog in the first place was the algae buildup in the line.