First World Cycling Problems

Razors Edge

On my Saturday ride, I just happened to glance down at my rear wheel's hub area while riding.  I noticed that the Powertap's end cap (technically a " Threaded Triangle Lock Nut") was spinning freely. I found that strange, but just thought it had unscrewed itself. I checked it out when I got home, and it turned out it hadn't unscrewed itself, but rather it had sheared off leaving the threaded part in the Powertap's body, while the cap part just spun freely. The residual threaded piece keeps the hub tightly in place.

On Sunday, before my afternoon ride, I thought I would see if I could easily remedy the situation.  A replacement cap is $5 on the Quarq site, so that wasn't a real issue, and I hoped I could just find a simple way to back out the threaded broken off bit. No luck :(  I do think I can safely ride with the piece missing (I now use a lithium battery!) since it still looks waterproof.  In any case, I plan to further explore options to easily remedy the situation and I have time since I hope the battery will last several years before needing replacement. But, since the wheel was off the bike as I troubleshooted the issue, I opted to grab my other Powertap wheel off of my Roubaix and used that for yesterday's ride.  Sure, I had to spend an extra minute or two adding the sensor to the new Wahoo computer, but such is the daily challenges we must face head-on to survive these days :D

The offending part:

image.png.2d303c645999426d331d2d809d868b1a.png

image.png.6a19711abcbff80cc431b114f37d4c5a.png

8 minutes ago, dennis said:

Talk to this guy. It should only take about two weeks, multiple trips to HD, and minor scratches to your CF frame.

He is my new hero.

I can't imaging the shit that guy has taken after posting that video.  Clueless and ADHD are a bad combination.

54 minutes ago, dennis said:

Talk to this guy. It should only take about two weeks, multiple trips to HD, and minor scratches to your CF frame.

I saw someone posted this the other day but I skipped over it thinking it was a serious video and I already know how to remove a stripped screw. This guy isn’t afraid to embarrass himself with his stupidity. I wonder what he does for a living? It’s not fixing bikes.

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I saw someone posted this the other day but I skipped over it thinking it was a serious video and I already know how to remove a stripped screw. This guy isn’t afraid to embarrass himself with his stupidity. I wonder what he does for a living? It’s not fixing bikes.

Congressman?

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So, I finally got around to dropping by my (and @Old#7) LBS about a week ago.  I handed it to the guy who built the wheel (Paul), and he tried some picks but couldn't readily fix it.  He called PowerTap (SRAM?), but of course they didn't answer, so I left the wheel in their hands to sort out.  Got a call a couple days later that Jesse (who built my Tarmac) had gotten it sorted and that PowerTap had sent them a new lock nut.  Anyway, dropped by the LBS yesterday and picked up the wheel - no charge - and wandered through the bikes just for fun.

TL;DR: Fixed for free.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So, I finally got around to dropping by my (and @Old#7) LBS about a week ago.  I handed it to the guy who built the wheel (Paul), and he tried some picks but couldn't readily fix it.  He called PowerTap (SRAM?), but of course they didn't answer, so I left the wheel in their hands to sort out.  Got a call a couple days later that Jesse (who built my Tarmac) had gotten it sorted and that PowerTap had sent them a new lock nut.  Anyway, dropped by the LBS yesterday and picked up the wheel - no charge - and wandered through the bikes just for fun.

TL;DR: Fixed for free.

That’s how we roll, no pun intended. Were you there for the free beer? They had sixtel kegs of  Pilsner, an IPA, and a porter from Caboose. I tried the IPA and the porter last night. The kegs are in a cooler by the front registers with a ‘free beer’ sign.

• Awesome 1