Question from an 'old' man

sheep_herder

As opposed to suicide where the death was an intentional act it’s an accidental death or by homicide where the act was committed by another.  The deceased intended to take the drug but not a fatal dose.

Probably only matters from an investigative and maybe insurance stand point.... Dead is dead.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

As opposed to suicide where the death was an intentional act it’s an accidental death or by homicide where the act was committed by another.  The deceased intended to take the drug but not a fatal dose.

So maybe it should be officially listed as "unintentional death by drug overdose" instead of "accidental", which is what happens if a tree falls on your head.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

So maybe it should be officially listed as "unintentional death by drug overdose" instead of "accidental", which is what happens if a tree falls on your head.

II think the question really is, who is they?

The only cause of death that matters is what the coroner indicates.   Everything else is just empty words...  “They” can say whatever they want...

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The only cause of death that matters is what the coroner indicates.   Everything else is just empty words...  “They” can say whatever they want...

All I see is what I read on the web or in the papers, so not sure who 'they' are, but assume they are quoting from the coroner's report.

27 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yep - my thoughts exactly. 

15 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

All I see is what I read on the web or in the papers, so not sure who 'they' are, but assume they are quoting from the coroner's report.

I would doubt many in the press or bloggers bother to read the coroner’s report. I think “likely drug overdose” is the conclusion reached at the scene and carried forward, unless something to contradict that gets announced after the autopsy. The “accidental” tag gets thrown in to differential from suicide.

Three guys died this week near me, accidental fentanyl overdoses. Apparently they went to an apartment after a club, and someone cut into a bag of what was believed to be cocaine and offered “bumps” off the end of his knife. It wasn’t cocaine. Which has me wondering what happened to cutting drugs with an inert substance, if you’re trying to maximize profits? Why use something that is going to most likely kill your clients? Fentanyl is so freaking toxic, it’s not like you can make weak heroin seem better if you use just a little.