When did this become a thing?

Chris...

Yeah, dumbest thing ever.  To me, they should be trying to encourage people to check bags instead of seeing how much freaking crap you can stuff into an overhead bin.  Also makes boarding and unboarding a lot slower with everyone's freaking carry ons.  I absolutely hate to travel anymore, there is nothing more miserable in life to me than flying anymore.

• Heart 2

On 9/23/2019 at 1:30 PM, Chris... said:

I haven’t flown since Ireland 3 years ago. Now you have to pay for checked bags and seat selection. 

Nickle and dimers.  "Fuck all y'all, you have to pay to bring things when you fly like normal people need to.  Can't afford it?  Go double-fuck yourself, wealthier consumers need your seats "

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

I hate that nickle and dime mindset where it just never stops.  Maybe I would mind less if I wasn't unspeakably poor, but I doubt it.  Can't we just pay a price without worrying where all the hidden costs are going to be?

I despise that when your suitcase is over whatever arbitrary weight limit they impose, you then spend your time stuffing stuff into your carry-on. It’s all going on the plane, regardless, let me check my 52 pound bag and move on! 

• Heart 1

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

I despise that when your suitcase is over whatever arbitrary weight limit they impose, you then spend your time stuffing stuff into your carry-on. It’s all going on the plane, regardless, let me check my 52 pound bag and move on! 

Or, your carry on doesn't fit in the test bin..............It's not going on the plane, you've got 60 seconds to decide.  It's not like you weren't warned.  :nodhead::popcorn:

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

That is a regulatory issue, not an airline issue. 

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I hate that nickle and dime mindset where it just never stops.  Maybe I would mind less if I wasn't unspeakably poor, but I doubt it.  Can't we just pay a price without worrying where all the hidden costs are going to be?

No. Ticket pricing has gone to a user pay system and it is working well for all.  You may view it as nickel dining but the pensioner beside you may view it as the only way they can afford the flight. 

12 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I hate everything about flying.  It all feels like a scam.  I avoid it if possible.  If I were only going 500 or so miles, I'd drive instead, maybe even 1000.

Fare structures are a scam.  If you are flying out of a major city or on a high demand route, you are way over-paying what the sector length costs in less travelled routes. 

10 minutes ago, wilbur said:

No. Ticket pricing has gone to a user pay system and it is working well for all.  You may view it as nickel dining but the pensioner beside you may view it as the only way they can afford the flight. 

Pretty much this.

It costs X amount of dollars to fly a plane full of people and cargo somewhere (in aggregate since as mentioned separately, costs vary by specific route, but airlines are serving many, many routes). For all its negatives for passengers, it is "working" for the airlines and they derive a large chunk of their revenue & profit from these new types of fees.  Since many fees are avoidable by changing behavior or "sucking it up", it leaves the passengers with more options but also more headaches to choose their pain points.

7 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Yep.  It is a rule that is not enforced often enough. 

1 minute ago, wilbur said:

Fare structures are a scam.  If you are flying out of a major city or on a high demand route, you are way over-paying what the sector length costs in less travelled routes. 

Yep.  Oldest son who travels extensively around the world on vacations or just to come home for the holidays often makes several connections on each trip because he is cheap frugal.  Sometimes he even takes advantage of the layovers to explore the intermediate site.

He travels light as I did when I was consulting.  One small bag for checked and you simply have to decide what is essential an make it fit.  One moderate carry on that easily fits in the gauge at the boarding gate.  In my case that was essentially a briefcase (the leather bag manpurse style with the ever so fashionable over the shoulder strap) that fits under the seat if they will let you.  Cargo pants with pockets to carry the essential things that you simply have to have and cannot live without for a few hours on an airplane.

My family traveled half way around the world with 1 checked bag each and one legal sized carry on bag each with the stuff that you absolutely have to have if the baggage doesn't arrive as planned.  That was for a 2 week trip and included formal clothes for a wedding.  It can be done without the kitchen sink.

There will always be those however who jump out of their seat while the aircraft is still rolling so that they can lean over the aisle seat passenger with their crotch about nose high while they struggle to get a 3 times legal sized carry on out of the overhead while knocking other bags out to fall on those patiently waiting below.

Cabin cameras should be used to identify these passengers and place them on the no fly list forever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

That is a regulatory issue, not an airline issue. 

I’m a light-packing traveler, but my wife overpacks as a rule. It just seems silly to need to shift two pounds around, either between two checked suitcases or a checked bag and a carry-on. And adding to the hassle of an already stressful event. But I see @maddmaxx point about oversized carry-ons, so I guess in some cases those two pounds DON’T end up on the plane.

55 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My family traveled half way around the world with 1 checked bag each and one legal sized carry on bag each with the stuff that you absolutely have to have if the baggage doesn't arrive as planned. 

We did 10 days in Japan without any checked bags, just the one (legal sized) carry-on. We actually had to buy smaller bags as Air Canada’s limits were smaller than what we had. It paid huge dividends taking the metro and subways to our hotel.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m a light-packing traveler, but my wife overpacks as a rule. It just seems silly to need to shift two pounds around, either between two checked suitcases or a checked bag and a carry-on. And adding to the hassle of an already stressful event. But I see @maddmaxx point about oversized carry-ons, so I guess in some cases those two pounds DON’T end up on the plane.

The better airline crews just pay attention during ticket scanning and gate check your big azz bag.

We recently flew to CA for camping.  Bought the cheapest "no free checked bag" tickets, but knew we would want to check our camping gear duffel bag (~45lbs) for $30, but could fit our other stuff in our "free" carry on bags.  The ticket difference was $70 extra/person for 1) free checked bag, and 2) seat selection.  So, we weighed the extra $110 ($70*2-$30) and decided it didn't make sense.  We paid to check the duffel, and when we got to our gate, they asked for "volunteers" to gate check their bags through to their final destination - free.  We did that, got seats on an aisle with an empty seat, and had a great flight.

Many folks on the flight were wrestling with getting their bags into the overhead compartment, but not us :D

On 9/23/2019 at 1:30 PM, Chris... said:

I haven’t flown since Ireland 3 years ago. Now you have to pay for checked bags and seat selection. 

Depends on the flights and airlines. I hadn't flown in a few years before I flew to Florida on Southwest for a Caribbean Cruise in 2017 and needed new luggage.  That's all new too. Southwest allows 1 check-in suitcase and 1 carry-on for free if they meet the requirements: Checked bag: 50 lbs or less and length + width + depth = 62 inches or less.  Carry-on: 10" x 16" x 24" max. (https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/index-pol.html)

TSA airport security rules say the checked bags must be unlocked unless they come equipped with a TSA Key slot - where the TSA has a key that fits.  I got a nice pair of bags from Costco, on-sale in the local store and $80 cheaper than on Amazon that were semi-hard case but light, TSA lock-slot, met the required dimensions and are perfect: I can just get the wider faux-leather handle on the wide-side of the carry-on around the extended handle of the big suitcase, rest the carry-on on top of the big suitcase, and easily wheel them around together.  I bought a luggage scale for around $5 at Walmart that you hook on the handle, lift up and it tells you how much your suitcase weighs.  That was important when deciding what souvenirs to put in the check-in suitcase and what to put in the carry-on!

711829158_160atCostco-IboughtatCostcostore.thumb.JPG.a1bb3e5334ba9a547b1de0d4229c5a55.JPG

10 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Heh. I always leave room in my bag in case the Mrs. is over the limit on the scale. Not unusual to pull out boots or jeans, stuff in my bag, and all seems well with the airport folk, even though the total weight is the same. 

15 hours ago, Ltdskilz said:

Heh. I always leave room in my bag in case the Mrs. is over the limit on the scale. Not unusual to pull out boots or jeans, stuff in my bag, and all seems well with the airport folk, even though the total weight is the same. 

As someone already alluded to... the primary factor in the 50lb thing is the regulation... which stems from the fact that humans have to lift these bags from cart to belt, belt to cart, etc.  Tell the guy who wrenched his back picking up your 99lber that it's ok, 'cause your other bag only weighed 1lb. :)

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

As someone already alluded to... the primary factor in the 50lb thing is the regulation... which stems from the fact that humans have to lift these bags from cart to belt, belt to cart, etc.  Tell the guy who wrenched his back picking up your 99lber that it's ok, 'cause your other bag only weighed 1lb. :)

I would have to assume it is not a "regulation", but rather an airline "choice".  Usually, there are multiple "levels" of luggage allowances, and the 22kg/50lbs one is relatively arbitrary (economy usually has the 50lbs limit, but business & 1st often have a 70lbs limit).  It may be airlines settled on it for a reason, but it remains variable across carriers - as does the carry on policy, size & shape of luggage, and what is "free" sporting equipment vs "oversize" sporting equipment, etc..  American recently started allowing bikes for "free" after being in the ~$75 each way camp for years. Others still charge for bikes unless you lie and tell them it is A/V equipment or some other nonsense.

Usually, when I have to sit on the suitcase in order to snap it shut, I have about 45 lbs in it.  I usually leave space in the carry-on for souvenirs and shift some clothing into the carry-on if I'd rather store some of the souvenirs in the suitcase (wine, etc.).