Lemond to receive congressional gold medal?

ChrisL

The Rep who nominated him is from CA(west of Sacramento). Lemond lives in MN. He was born near LA, but grew up near Reno, NV. I guess I don't see the connection. The bill has bipartisan support and still has to pass the senate and be signed by the President. 

Lemond is probably the greatest American Cyclist. He won the Tour three times. Twice after recovering from a gun shot wound that almost killed him. It's kind of a remarkable story. 

1 minute ago, dennis said:

The Rep who nominated him is from CA(west of Sacramento). Lemond lives in MN. He was born near LA, but grew up near Reno, NV. I guess I don't see the connection. The bill has bipartisan support and still has to pass the senate and be signed by the President. 

Lemond is probably the greatest American Cyclist. He won the Tour three times. Twice after recovering from a gun shot wound that almost killed him. It's kind of a remarkable story. 

Yeah I get all of that and don’t disagree.  I’m a huge Lemond fan boy. 

But I still don’t get why now?

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I read this in the Forbes article. This offers a bit of an explanation. The book is worth reading, pretty cool story and well written.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2019/09/20/tour-de-france-winner-greg-lemond-to-be-awarded-us-congressional-gold-medal/#731788fd13e6

“I always felt Greg’s achievement was bigger than cycling,” says Daniel de Visé, author of The Comeback, a 2018 biography of LeMond.

“Congressman Thompson first contacted me last October. He had read my book, and he wanted to find a way to recognize Greg as an American hero.”

A statement from Thompson’s office remarked that Lemond was “one of the greatest American athletes in history.”

Pointedly, Thompson stated that LeMond was the “only American to win the Tour de France” and was a champion of “healthy athletics and clean competition,” unsaid digs against disgraced U.S. rider Lance Armstrong who has stripped of his seven Tour de France victories after admitting to having doped during his career.

“I am truly humbled to be recognized by the U.S. House of Representatives,” said LeMond.

“Cycling changed my life for the better. The sport has the potential to help everyone be healthier and more active.”

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Not sure, but maybe he deserved it back during the Armstrong days, yet ended up playing second fiddle. Almost a decade after the LA implosion, folks realized he was still the top US TdF cyclist?

Can't see a reason he should be honored.  He's a bit of a "tough" personality, but that hasn't hurt athletes in other sports from getting recognition.

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

FIFY. Lemond may be a tough personality, but a) he’s literally been abused throughout his life and b) he was right and no one listened. Honor the man.

You DID fix my comment. I meant exactly what you changed it to. Lemond is deserving of recognition and being honored. Thx.

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

FIFY. Lemond may be a tough personality, but a) he’s literally been abused throughout his life and b) he was right and no one listened. Honor the man.

Yeah I’m not against the recognition, it just seems odd to me why the love now but better late than never.  What gets lost is that Greg is a genuinely good dude and was pretty much persecuted by LA for a decade.  During his run there was never any drama swirling around him because of his behavior.  

48 minutes ago, ChrisL said:
57 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Lance was America’s greatest cyclist, not sure how you debate that. Seven is more than three, plus Lemond only had to beat a bunch of slapdicks that couldn’t even dope properly. 

Wrong!

Exactly! We ALL know the French are Ass Grabbers!  Hampsten won the Giro, and that's where the competition was a bunch of Slap Dickers!