Confessions of a Mod

Kzoo

Just now, Kzoo said:

That's my plan. 95 year minimum.

I'll be honest.  Since you are the new rulah, I was attempting to tickle your authoritarian side.  Apparently I missed the mark and my shady attempt to gain favor failed miserably.

Please sir, give me a warning point.  I need the street cred.

GMS

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Genetically Modified Sofa said:

I'll be honest.  Since you are the new rulah, I was attempting to tickle your authoritarian side.  Apparently I missed the mark and my shady attempt to gain favor failed miserably.

Please sir, give me a warning point.  I need the street cred.

GMS

I am just one of 4 (low man on the totem pole) that SW has suckered into the gig.  I think BikeMan is the President of the Moderators and reports directly to the Evil Forum Commander.

16 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I believe that there are several here that need to grow thicker internet skin.  No one here really hates on anyone - we do have differences of opinion.

I believe you have that wrong.  People get offended for all kinds of reasons.  Look at the current climate (not atmospheric) in the west.  Just having a different belief system is offensive to people.  Having your own belief system challenged is an opportunity to learn but a reaction for being ridiculed because of your belief system is justification for reaction, not a thin skin.   That is where the trolls of this site like to play.  Shall I name them? 

So, rather than blaming the thin skinned victims, blame the thick headed perpetrators.  Especially those who go unmoderated. 

My buddy @wilbur, I am not of the opinion he is blaming anyone. I think what he is saying is folks on an internet forum are gauranteed to say things we don't like or agree with. In fact, probably more often than not. How I interpreted those Kazie words is that instead of trying to control the speaker, the listener needs to handle their own reactions. That's all we can control anyway. Also, RE lives in D.C. so please stop attacking us out West. Hmmmm.... what I meant to say was you can attack us out West for all I care because I love you, man. ?

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dottie said:

How I interpreted those Kazie words is that instead of trying to control the speaker, the listener needs to handle their own reactions.

You got it.  "My attitude is my reaction to my circumstances."  

SWF chain of events:

Peep A writes something Peep B doesn't agree with.

Peep B gets butt hurt

Peep B lashes out in a response to Peep A

Peep A lashes back

(at this time both feel justified and are right - I keep telling people that I only get into arguments with people that are wrong.)

The divisive banter continues and others enter the fray.

The thread gets hidden/locked

Warning Points are awarded

Peep A sends a message to SW that now he is butt hurt.

Peep A and Peep B go on with life thinking just a bit less about the other.

SW loses sleep...

And tomorrow it starts all over again and RG tells us that moderation is evil and we all have rights to speak whatever we want.

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You got it.  "My attitude is my reaction to my circumstances."  

SWF chain of events:

Peep A writes something Peep B doesn't agree with.

Peep B gets butt hurt

Peep B lashes out in a response to Peep A

Peep A lashes back

(at this time both feel justified and are right - I keep telling people that I only get into arguments with people that are wrong.)

The divisive banter continues and others enter the fray.

The thread gets hidden/locked

Warning Points are awarded

Peep A sends a message to SW that now he is butt hurt.

Peep A and Peep B go on with life thinking just a bit less about the other.

SW loses sleep...

And tomorrow it starts all over again and RG tells us that moderation is evil and we all have rights to speak whatever we want.

If only that were the normal flow.  Not even close to normal for the typical "bad" threads here.  But maybe it depends on perspective.

Is it just my enamel?! I honestly haven't read a thread or opinion in here at anytime that I felt I wanted to leave. I have one person that I have history with that has pissed me off... but that's only because we had history from another site. But this site is TAME compared to the other that shall not be named. In short, folks are great in here.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Is it just my enamel?! I honestly haven't read a thread or opinion in here at anytime that I felt I wanted to leave. I have one person that I have history with that has pissed me off... but that's only because we had history from another site. But this site is TAME compared to the other that shall not be named. In short, folks are great in here.

I's both you and them...  Some folks will leave at the mere suggestion that they might not be as perfect at everything as they present themselves to be.  Others take quite a bit of harassment before they would even consider such a thing.  IMO, we can do without the former.

• Heart 2

Good post, @Kzoo

I was asked a while back to mod on another site I’ve a long history with. They are far stricter in some regards than here. Anyway, I accepted and like you, I never banned anyone, removed any threads, etc.  I did bring up a couple issues with the admins, but it was easy to deal with. 

But once you were a mod, a whole separate section of the Forums were opened up to you. It was the moderator/admin area.  And some of what I saw take place in there was not to my liking. So after a while, I rescinded my status.

Anyway, stay the course as long as you enjoy doing it. 

2 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Good post, @Kzoo

I was asked a while back to mod on another site I’ve a long history with. They are far stricter in some regards than here. Anyway, I accepted and like you, I never banned anyone, removed any threads, etc.  I did bring up a couple issues with the admins, but it was easy to deal with. 

But once you were a mod, a whole separate section of the Forums were opened up to you. It was the moderator/admin area.  And some of what I saw take place in there was not to my liking. So after a while, I rescinded my status.

Anyway, stay the course as long as you enjoy doing it. 

Sometimes alarming when you get to see the 'underbelly'. Somewhat my reasoning for getting out of administration.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Sometimes alarming when you get to see the 'underbelly'. Somewhat my reasoning for getting out of administration.

Yep. That’s happened to me twice in the business world. And it has jaded me in many ways. And it’s a major reason I chose not to accept certain career promotions over the years.

21 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Actually I'm not as active as the other 3 mods in the Moderator forum.  I just don't think about going there often and usually when I do the discussion is done.  I can tell you that my feeling is that SW deals with stuff on his own and gives us the results.  We see that someone got points or suspended but he already had the nasty discussion with the member.

I can tell you that the other 3 are all more active in doing the moderator stuff than I am.  I appreciate their lead.

All this to say - I don't really see the true 'underbelly'.  SW does and he is fed up with it.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Actually I'm not as active as the other 3 mods in the Moderator forum. 

Honestly, I have only gone to the "Staff" page once before today.  FTR, you are now INCORRECT as there are FOUR other mods now that the Hammer Queen has been added to the mix. But thanks to @KrAzY, @bikeman564™, @AirwickWithCheese, and you & SW for your time.

image.thumb.png.fc74582303fd78a98be3785c7b0aae19.png

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Actually I'm not as active as the other 3 mods in the Moderator forum.  I just don't think about going there often and usually when I do the discussion is done.  I can tell you that my feeling is that SW deals with stuff on his own and gives us the results.  We see that someone got points or suspended but he already had the nasty discussion with the member.

I can tell you that the other 3 are all more active in doing the moderator stuff than I am.  I appreciate their lead.

All this to say - I don't really see the true 'underbelly'.  SW does and he is fed up with it.

I was only referencing Zealot's situation, realizing that there is great variation from one forum/business to another. Not sure how to address SW's problems, except I am a believer that we have a great deal of control over what we let bother us.  Thus, part of that control is getting rid of the bothersome situation. Letting 'water' run off one's back gets easier with age, but some don't want to wait that long. Do I have the answer?  Hell no!!

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, Kzoo said:

...I found that I could allow peeps to discuss issues at greater length than SW.  In the end those threads always turned heated and I would kick myself for not acting sooner....

...I believe that there are several here that need to grow thicker internet skin.  No one here really hates on anyone - we do have differences of opinion.

...If you are hassling SW for ANY reason you need to stop - you are not part of the problem - you are the problem.

- I have learned to be a better mod but there is no way I or any other mod can take heat off of SW - You can.

Well said!  All of teasing I've seen on this site seems good-natured ribbing and that was the key reason I left LF while it was still in operation and came here.  There have been a couple times where pictures I posted here were objected to by a couple members - who were nice enough to send me a PRIVATE message.  This site features a great group of people, in terms of behavior and positive outlook, with which to interact and whoever is running the show, moving threads or banning people, I'm a happy follower.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Letting 'water' run off one's back gets easier with age, but some don't want to wait that long. Do I have the answer?  Hell no!!

I don't know. I think you have teased me with the "ignore" function in the past.  That's a pretty good second step for many.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Honestly, I have only gone to the "Staff" page once before today.  FTR, you are now INCORRECT as there are FOUR other mods now that the Hammer Queen has been added to the mix. But thanks to @KrAzY, @bikeman564™, @AirwickWithCheese, and you & SW for your time.

image.thumb.png.fc74582303fd78a98be3785c7b0aae19.png

DH?!? Bloody hell.

• Haha 3