free potatoes

dinneR

His brakes failed. He was 20,000 lbs overweight. 

They are paying $20/hour to help clean it up.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/town_county/spud-truck-smashes-into-gravel-shed/article_eab08dca-6e3d-5847-9774-21abc6b4af0b.html

Investigators are still examining the details of a wreck that sent a semitractor-trailer driver and thousands of pounds of potatoes destined for Five Guys fryers hurling through the air near the base of Teton Pass.

• Heart 1

I'll pass. I really love the gold baby potatoes.

I told an 83 year-old cousin who married an Italian-Americans and loves to put Dry Italian Seasoning in everything that I cut up baby gold potatoes into wedges, rinse them in a bowl of water to get out some starch, pat them dry with a paper towel, toss them with a little EVOO, sprinkle Dry Italian Seasoning on them, and bake them at 350F for 22 min.

She asked me how much of the potato I lost when I peeled them.

I replied that the skin is so thin that you never have to peel baby potatoes.  Even over the phone, I could see the light bulb turning on over her head.  "And the skin is good for you!" she raved. "What's the brand name?"

I usually get the 3 lb bag of Honey Gold baby potatoes at Aldi but any gold, red, etc. baby potatoes - and even many full-sized gold potatoes will do.

Note that gold potatoes are known for holding their texture and not getting so mushy if they're a little overcooked.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I sometimes think about that when driving through eastern Idaho. I wonder if it is the same in many rural areas during harvest.

A dad on Emmy's old softball team is a self-employed farmer of sorts.  He owns two semi trucks with trailers that he uses to haul sawdust and grain and sometimes turkey shit.  I asked him if he had a CDL and he replied "CD what?"  Out in the country if you have farm tags you don't have to have a CDL.  He has an F 450 with a huge gooseneck flat bed that he hauls two big skid loaders on.  He uses them to clean out turkey barns.  It's quite the enterprise.  His smallest truck is his "little" F 350 dually flat bed.  He uses it to pull the camper and drive to softball games.  He calls my F 150 a car with a bed.

• Haha 1

Farm trucks crash every harvest time around here.  They are always driving as fast as they can go no matter what road they are on.  Fortunately, most of the trucks get no maintenance unless they completely break down, which keeps their speeds lower than they might otherwise be.  That is good since they don't bother with brakes either.  Overweight trucks are always going over Teton Pass because it is a much shorter route than the alternative, but they can't stop on the 11% grade, especially if it is icy or snow covered.  Of course, they also wreck on the alternative route, which was closed for an extended period one year after a fuel tanker crashed and burned up a large section of the road.

For those that don't click links...

But the force of impact from the trailer full of vegetables hitting the back of the cab sent the cab and driver flying. The cab detached from the trailer and flew about 300 feet. Miraculously, the driver had a bloody face and minor injuries but was otherwise ok.

“It was one heck of a ride,” Daigle said.

?

6 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

Farm trucks crash every harvest time around here.  They are always driving as fast as they can go no matter what road they are on.  Fortunately, most of the trucks get no maintenance unless they completely break down, which keeps their speeds lower than they might otherwise be.  That is good since they don't bother with brakes either.  Overweight trucks are always going over Teton Pass because it is a much shorter route than the alternative, but they can't stop on the 11% grade, especially if it is icy or snow covered.  Of course, they also wreck on the alternative route, which was closed for an extended period one year after a fuel tanker crashed and burned up a large section of the road.

Wild Wild West!

• Haha 1