A pedal/strap configuration

donkpow

blue4.5.jpg?v=1561396503

I have been using this Gates pedal configuration for my daily rider. It's a plastic BMX style of pedal with an adjusstable strap. I prefer clips and straps but they limit you to very few shoe styles. This configuration lets me use any of my shoes to ride in, from cycling shoes to heavy work boots. It's not like I need to be strapped in for work boots but I prefer it at all other times. This way, I don't have to swap pedals every time I change shoes.

The straps are quite robust, even a bit too bulky. They are sold to fixed gear riders so I can see that. One problem I am having is dragging the ground at intersections. I don't use any extra time to set my foot into position at stop lights. I clear the busy intersections ASAP. So not putting my foot in the strap lets the strap hang down and brush the pavement. I use some "Shoe Goop" to provide a layer of protection for the strap at the contact point.

So far, I give the combo a 'pretty good' on the Donk review scale.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

The straps are quite robust, even a bit too bulky. They are sold to fixed gear riders so I can see that. One problem I am having is dragging the ground at intersections. I don't use any extra time to set my foot into position at stop lights. I clear the busy intersections ASAP. So not putting my foot in the strap lets the strap hang down and brush the pavement. I use some "Shoe Goop" to provide a layer of protection for the strap at the contact point.

That hang down is an issue with all toe straps/cages to some extent. Whenever I work on my wife's bike and take it for a test spin, the cages flip down and drag in turns, etc..

I have standard platform pedals on my commuter.  I don't really see any benefit to having straps/cages let alone clipless pedals.

I like their simplicity, though.  Nice review.  Let us know if they last.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't really see any benefit to having straps/cages let alone clipless pedals.

I get a lot of security out of clips and straps. And out of this new configuration. Traffic is tough, at times, and I want to be on top of it without holding back to be sure my feet stay on the pedals. 

I filed the plastic "pins" down on the pedals. They were standing too proud for me. Stabbing the bottom of my feet through the sneakers. I removed about half their height.

I also took the bearings out and regreased them. The adjustment seemed too tight to me so I loosened them up a bit. More like you would do for a wheel hub.

My clips drag the ground, that's a given. The issue here is that the straps drag the ground. Since they are made out of heavy denier nylon, wear occurs. The steel clips just got got scuffed. I'll keep putting Shoe Goop on to slow the damage. Shoe Goop was originally made for skateboarders and they publish an application procedure to reduce scuffing damage to skate shoes. 

55 minutes ago, donkpow said:

My clips drag the ground, that's a given. The issue here is that the straps drag the ground. Since they are made out of heavy denier nylon, wear occurs. The steel clips just got got scuffed. I'll keep putting Shoe Goop on to slow the damage. Shoe Goop was originally made for skateboarders and they publish an application procedure to reduce scuffing damage to skate shoes. 

Safety is always first but could you practice flipping your shoe in the strap quickly so it doesn’t drag? Or mash your foot on the strap and put it in once you clear the intersection?

5 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Safety is always first but could you practice flipping your shoe in the strap quickly so it doesn’t drag? Or mash your foot on the strap and put it in once you clear the intersection?

Oh I can handle it. When traffic is nonexistent, I get in the strap. Otherwise, it's the cost of ownership. I may be interested in less bulk in the future. The strap is quite robust, more than I need. As I said at the outset, these things are made for fixed gear riders, too. Most of the other straps of this type in the market are geared for kids. Since these straps are longer, they accept larger shoes. That also adds to the bulk.

Here is a competitor's strap. A Canadian company with a good strap but about $10 more expensive.

play_icon_overlay.png