7am is jackhammer time here, apparently

Reverend_Maynard

7 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

When I was a child they were building I-75 through Cincinnati. I lived less than a football field away. The dynamiting and heavy equipment started at 7am. It was a wonderful alarm clock for a 5 YO.

When I lived in Meadville, PA as a kid a little older than that, they were building I-79 just over the hill from me.  I have no idea when the dynamiting started, but it was a fun thing overall. 

27 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

When I lived in Meadville, PA as a kid a little older than that, they were building I-79 just over the hill from me.  I have no idea when the dynamiting started, but it was a fun thing overall. 

When I was a kid they were building I79 just a half mile  from our house.  They completed that section before other sections so I had miles of divided 4 lane interstate highway to bicycle with no more traffic than an occasional construction pickup truck.  If I wanted I had smooth unused concrete from Erie the Saegertown to myself.

• Awesome 1

I live about a mile from the north end of John Wayne Airport (SNA) and there are several flight restrictions at this airport.  No flights after 11 pm & before 7 am and there are noise mitigation procedures pilots must follow on take off.  

So right at 7 am I hear the engines spool up as the jets take off one after the other for about 30 minutes.  The worse noise is about 3 miles south of me but it’s still pretty loud.

• Heart 1

You have not lived till you've lived on a navy ship which is always undergoing a repainting somewhere.  They use small jackhammer like paint removers which on a steel hull will hurt your teeth.  Of course they start at 7am, but you weren't allowed to be asleep then anyway.  7am was the beginning of the work day and you were up much earlier if you wanted to eat.

When I was stationed at Cannon AFB NM back in the 70's, we weren't supposed to run the F-111s engines above 85% after 11 pm until 7AM.  There was an aircraft on the schedule which needed an engine run check.  At about 1 am I not only took the engine above 85%, I also put it into afterburner. While in AB the engine had a compressor stall. Think car engine backfire x 1000. I called job control an said "I don't know how to tell you this but that aircraft has an engine problem. " They said "We heard!"  Evidently people living around the base complained the next day but I didn't get in trouble.