WoK VB and SQL

KrAzY

This is WoK....  I am looking to take some VB and Sql classes to catch up on my programming and increase my chances at landing a job (I am a Financial Analyst).  Any suggestions on where to start?  I've had experience, but it was a long time ago. Thanks in advance.

WoK!

This is WoK....  I am looking to take some VB and Sql classes to catch up on my programming and increase my chances at landing a job (I am a Financial Analyst).  Any suggestions on where to start?  I've had experience, but it was a long time ago. Thanks in advance.

WoK!

Easy way to start....get a copy of Access and start playing with it.  There are plenty of books out there that will help you learn VB and SQL.  Some are specific to Access. 

Call Chopped Liver. This is right up his alley I believe.

Also, please accept my sincerest condolences on being the wife of Krazy.

If you need contact info for Chopped Liver, PM me.  I can get you in touch with him.

Phishing for digits?

• Heart 1

Is programming really fun, though?

when you know what you are doing, yea, its a fun job

when you are an idiot, no it probably sucks, but I wouldn't know first hand. You'd have to ask Goldendesign about that   :P

yes, get a book, open up Access, and get cracking

only chumps spend money on training in computer programming

Take classes on that stuff?  I was just told one day they needed someone to do it, so I figured it out and did it.

Above is some great advice for failure.  Someone with no VB experience is supposed to just "learn" from using Access?  Access is a great and powerful tool that would likely take months if not years to really learn what it can do.

I always find the most dangerous person in the room to be the one afraid to say "I don't know".

• Heart 1

Above is some great advice for failure.  Someone with no VB experience is supposed to just "learn" from using Access?  Access is a great and powerful tool that would likely take months if not years to really learn what it can do.

I always find the most dangerous person in the room to be the one afraid to say "I don't know".

I did.... 

of course I did have a few years of Clipper and Visual Fox Pro under my belt.

It took me about a week.  It's really not that hard.

And actually I always tell my boss I don't know if it's possible, then at the end of the day I usually have something put together and working doing exactly what she wants.  Only a true idiot commits to being able to do something they don't truly know is possible.

In fact all through college I never took a class on how to use a software program, we were just told to use this and were expected to figure it out ourselves.  Yes, had some classes on programming languages, but what we used to compile the code was pretty much up to our choice and we were never taught how to use it.

And VB is generally thought of an easy language so can't remember any classes even being given on it.  All I had was C and Fortran.

If you need to be shown how to do VB, you are an imbecile

that is one of the axioms of programming

• Heart 1

" .......to catch up on my programming .........  I've had experience, but it was a long time ago."

Comprehension skills?