Do you have a hi-fi system?

Randomguy

I have a hifi, but it's my home theater now, I rarely use it for music.

I have Audioengine A5 speakers that are quite nice. In anticipation of getting good speakers, when I last got a mobo, I got one with a Sabre dac. They're the best unless you get a hi end outboard dac, and I don't want to spend that kind of money.

From my POV, for an very reasonable amount of money, my music rocks, and they are pretty damn good at games as well.

I had several over the years.  Now if I play a CD it's through the entertainment system speakers and sound bar.  Mostly when I listen to music other than in the car, it's in the secret lab where it's played through a fair set of speakers driven by the computer down there.  That computer is where the music is archived for transfer to portable devices.

My car's stereo system is probably the best sound system I have.  Since the music is all stored as MP3's what difference does it make.  My older ears no longer have the range for hifi to matter.

Yes, one in almost every room.  I was a bit of an audiophile at one point so I've got several systems as I continually upgraded.  My parents also have one of my old Yamaha systems, one of my sisters have one of my old Denon setup and the other got my old Proton setup.  In my house I have two Yahama setups (one full surround), a Onkyo THX certified setup, a Kenwood setup, and a JVC setup (sub compact).  Seems like I have a couple more stashed somewhere that I can't remember, probably still in a box from moving.

I sold all my high dollar stuff in the late 90's early 2000's because I realized it was extremely overkill and I couldn't afford to finish off the setup the way I wanted.

We have a Bose doodad hooked to the main TV.  Seems most days, we listen to one of the "Music Choice" channels on the TV (I have Classic Rock on now), and if I want to play it loud, I turn on the Bose and pump it through there. If we want to play a CD or an MP3, we likewise route it through there. 

Stereo systems - in the traditional sense of tuner, amp, EQ, CD, turntable, tape deck, & speakers as separate components - has sadly become a thing of the past for me.  I just don't need that sort of horsepower anymore, so as the years went by, the system we have and use has shrunk to the TV/DVD/Bose mix we now use.

I think, if I actually spent a ton of time listening to music again (actively - not in the background), I could see going crazy with it again.  I have many great memories of just throwing on a great record/tape/CD, cranking it to 11, and rocking out. 

On right now, and I would love to just rock this:

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

@Chris...  inspired me this morning... I guess my Bluetooth is a JBL & not a Bose...

86ECB250-4A1C-4630-99C4-DD3CAA9E0733.jpeg

I have a couple portable & waterproof BT speakers I use in the garage or by the pool or whatever.

Yeah, I bet kids of tomorrow will have no idea what their grandparents are talking about regarding "stereos".

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, I bet kids of tomorrow will have no idea what their grandparents are talking about regarding "stereos".

I chucked my HI FI when my kids were small so at 20 something they already are clueless to them. They grew up with IPods.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I chucked my HI FI when my kids were small so at 20 something they already are clueless to them. They grew up with IPods.

Explains so much, so many kids today, don't know what good sound, sounds like.

I want to be able to not just hear the music, but actually feel it.  Music is always on my house.

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

Explains so much, so many kids today, don't know what good sound, sounds like.

I want to be able to not just hear the music, but actually feel it.  Music is always on my house.

Heck, my hearing loss has negated any edge I have over kids these days :(

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Heck, my hearing loss has negated any edge I have over kids these days :(

You think hearing loss is bad from the stereo generation, just wait for the current headphone generation when they get older.

We don't let the kids use headphones until they are around 3rd grade if we can help it.  Though even now, I find my son often has his turned up way to loud when he has them on.

Considering the amount of people I see walking around in zombie like state with headphones on anymore, I am predicting hearing loss to be the next big thing.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

You think hearing loss is bad from the stereo generation, just wait for the current headphone generation when they get older.

We don't let the kids use headphones until they are around 3rd grade if we can help it.  Though even now, I find my son often has his turned up way to loud when he has them on.

Considering the amount of people I see walking around in zombie like state with headphones on anymore, I am predicting hearing loss to be the next big thing.

+1 - especially when I can hear someone's music when they are wearing headphones.

I think cranking the car stereo and live concerts did far more damage to my hearing than my home stereo.  Also, aging alone has wiped out plenty regardless :(

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I thought it odd I never had to tell my kids to turn their music down!  They rocked out on their iPods.

I'm down to fairly-good, full-sized headphones and mostly play music on my laptop. They're cheap audio-technica ATH-M30's with an 11 foot cord that are described as "studio quality." That's a little bit of stretch but not by much - I set my graphic equalizer to the typical headphone setting, and get as much bass as I want, etc.

800907543_ATH-M30headphone.jpg.2771c3ab977a833b523cfb7f6de42670.jpg756622564_ATH-M30headphone2.jpg.30b51adde285cbd92ea857de584794c5.jpg793069889_HeadphoneEQsettings.JPG.1a327c92c401810b76966cf361b79fd2.JPG

I have these Kinovo BTH240 wireless, bluetooth on-ear-behind-the-head headphones for playing music from my smartphone while mowing the lawn, etc.

116920127_KinovoBTH240Bluetoothwirelessheadphone.JPG.6cbe6607f485f034d774abb249579fc5.JPG

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

1178939395_stereohalfsize.jpg.c9ebebee8b86a72387bba9e90026cb11.jpg

A fellow audiophile, I didn't expect that, we're becoming an endangered species. I like your Maggies, but I belong to a different church. They make some very nice subs these days. Mine are PSB Stratus Golds, but they are over 20 years old. I'd love to replace them. Their bass goes into the upper 20s with authority, but their response curve falls off a cliff below 28. I used to have a really good record player, with the right "ingredients" they image quite nicely.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

We have a Bose doodad hooked to the main TV.  Seems most days, we listen to one of the "Music Choice" channels on the TV (I have Classic Rock on now), and if I want to play it loud, I turn on the Bose and pump it through there. If we want to play a CD or an MP3, we likewise route it through there. 

Stereo systems - in the traditional sense of tuner, amp, EQ, CD, turntable, tape deck, & speakers as separate components - has sadly become a thing of the past for me.  I just don't need that sort of horsepower anymore, so as the years went by, the system we have and use has shrunk to the TV/DVD/Bose mix we now use.

I think, if I actually spent a ton of time listening to music again (actively - not in the background), I could see going crazy with it again.  I have many great memories of just throwing on a great record/tape/CD, cranking it to 11, and rocking out. 

On right now, and I would love to just rock this:

"Got my Kiss records out"

On 10/8/2019 at 8:41 PM, Randomguy said:

How do people listen to music these days if they are not using headphones?

Normally, thumb drive from  blue toothed Pyle amp to Sonos.  Just for ease.

On the road, iPhone to a Bose speaker. 

In the car, thumb drive to hardwired custom speakers.

In the rock hall, basement, Marantz 2235 amp, Heathkit turntable, Quad ESL speakers.