Country Music

Allen

18 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I think we've started episode 5... been watching on demand.  PBS lets you fast forward, unlike most networks.

I am looking forward to hearing some opinions (on the show) of the change in mainstream country music in the 80s-90s.  

Thats when it started to be fun.

Can you pick out which one is Shania Twain?

I watched it in bits and pieces. The Johnny Cash stuff was good.  The Burns' formula is a good one, so I was able to pick up the show at a  random point, watch for a while, and enjoy it. 

I'm no fan of "country" music, but I like a lot of country songs from over the years. It, like all music genres, is broad enough that there are many gems mixed in with the regular stuff.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

I think we've started episode 5... been watching on demand.  PBS lets you fast forward, unlike most networks.

I am looking forward to hearing some opinions (on the show) of the change in mainstream country music in the 80s-90s.  

Dawidoff takes this modern country to task. He calls it hot country, essentially pop with a twang. Tight pant, big hat wearing country.

He honors the tradition like Monroe, Cash, Willie, the Carter family etc. 

I'll probably try to stream the Burns series this weekend on Kanopy

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, dennis said:

Dawidoff takes this modern country to task. He calls it hot country, essentially pop with a twang. Tight pant, big hat wearing country.

He honors the tradition like Monroe, Cash, Willie, the Carter family etc. 

I'll probably try to stream the Burns series this weekend on Kanopy

Dig up 100 year old (or older) country..

What people forget is that the Grand Ol Opry is in a city. The urbanisation of country started in the 1800s.

Back in the 70s, I was wandering through genres. I bought a record of really old Appalachian music, it was music to commit suicide to.

The real thing is simple, not a lot of instruments, not a lot of anything.

There was a great country video, I wish I could remember the name of it. The guy is singing that his girl has to let him go, but in the video at one point she shoots a bazooka at him.

• Heart 1

They talked a lot about the Nashville Sound in the documentary.  Very polished, with all the smooth edges buffed out, lots of orchestras backing the singer.  I hate that, as I hate Soft Rock, Music and more recent R&B.  Not a fan of "Hot Country, where everything seems to be a formula, either.

I like music that is raw and authentic.  Of many different genres.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, dennis said:

essentially pop with a twang. 

That's a perfect description.  Yes, I think much of it is too slickly produced and largely formulaic - not to mention the cliche subject matter.  I know that's tricky, since it's the same subject matter as it was 50 years ago - at that time it just wasn't a cliche yet.

Bakersfield > Nashville

20 hours ago, Allen said:

Did anyone sit all the way through it?

I gave up.

I gave up, too.

Ken Burns put together perhaps the greatest documentary series of all time: The Civil War.

But the ones that followed come across as being made by people who aren't really into the subjects: baseball, National Parks, etc.

It's like someone describing da Vinci's painting, The Last Supper, without understanding who the people portrayed in it were or what they represented.

11 hours ago, late said:

Dig up 100 year old (or older) country..

What people forget is that the Grand Ol Opry is in a city. The urbanisation of country started in the 1800s.

Back in the 70s, I was wandering through genres. I bought a record of really old Appalachian music, it was music to commit suicide to.

The real thing is simple, not a lot of instruments, not a lot of anything.

There was a great country video, I wish I could remember the name of it. The guy is singing that his girl has to let him go, but in the video at one point she shoots a bazooka at him.

One person's opinion