What made Dean Martin so popular?

Wilbur

Jerry Lewis and the Rat Pack made Dean Martin.  I think of him more as an actor than a singer and would not be surprised if many did not feel this way.  As others have said he was cool and likable in the days when drinking and smoking were looked upon favorably.

You have to remember that he got famous in the movies he made with Jerry Lewis - they were a team even before they got famous and Jerry Lewis was the brain of the duo.

Dean was a reasonably good singer and his TV/movie persona was one of a charmer.

I can remember in high school, on the bus that took us to our basketball games, some of the cheerleaders liked to sing a couple of his songs on the ride, particularly, "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime."  THAT was unusual for the late 60's, when even folk music was fading, country wasn't appreciated north of Virginia, and Classic or Hard Rock was the "acceptable" music for teenagers.

He was the king of cool crooners. Women wanted to be with him. Men secretly wanted to be like him. Back in the day, ladies would throw their undergarments at him when he was on stage. I'd watch my mom drop what she was doing and transform back into a teenage girl when she saw him on TV. And the ladies still swoon when they hear his voice. Its a guarantee that when a Dean song is on the radio, Mrs will want to dance/romance in the kitchen.  As for his acting abilities, many people to this day still believe he was a lush and not just acting. 

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, team scooter said:

He was the king of cool crooners. Women wanted to be with him. Men secretly wanted to be like him. Back in the day, ladies would throw their undergarments at him when he was on stage. I'd watch my mom drop what she was doing and transform back into a teenage girl when she saw him on TV. And the ladies still swoon when they hear his voice. Its a guarantee that when a Dean song is on the radio, Mrs will want to dance/romance in the kitchen.  As for his acting abilities, many people to this day still believe he was a lush and not just acting. 

You want panties on stage? Tom Jones. WoScrapr got us upgraded seats on some anniversary in Tahoe. 4th row. My goodness, it was wild....and fun

6 hours ago, Scrapr said:

You want panties on stage? Tom Jones. WoScrapr got us upgraded seats on some anniversary in Tahoe. 4th row. My goodness, it was wild....and fun

Yep, Tom was another one that turned my otherwise prim and proper mom into puddy. My mom used to say, a construction worker turned crooner, whats not to love? He could build you a house, then sing you to bed. ;)

And its not just ladies from yesterday's generations. This young girl lasted maybe twenty seconds before she started fawning. :nodhead:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FaQ said:

Just go to 3:20 to hear a singer.   Frank was ok but had very limited vocal range and a thin voice.  Crosby was King and could hold his own, even lead with the likes of the Mills Brothers. 

We're going to have to agree to disagree.