Would You Rat Out A Friend or Family Member?

Razors Edge

I would and I have.  My stepbrother was a substance abuser who once simply didn't bother returning a rental car.  The owner of the company was a friend of mine and asked me to intervene in getting his car back. Stepbrother showed up one night and even before he got out of the car I informed the police that he and the car were here.  I'd do it again.  Stepbrother was so far gone that he never knew who dropped the dime.

The car by the way was a mess.  He had been living in it and throwing up in it.

I believe we owe something to our society in terms of doing what best defends and preserves it. So, if the friend or family member was causing harm to someone else, physically or financially, or seriously undermining something involving a government or a significant community service, I'd either confront the person to correct the harm or turn him/herself in or, if I thought that wasn't likely to work, I'd report him/her to the authorities myself.

10 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I’m not the grammar police, nor am I “cruel, violent, or immoral” (Oxford). 

@Randomguy I’m being railroaded, implicated by association. The man, clearly threatened by a literate female, has falsely accused me of using excessive force. Glad you have my back. 

There is nothing worse than a literate female.  Now, go make us some sandwiches.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

We gave shelter to my wife's sister and her 9 year old son.  She rewarded us by stealing personal data, applying for several credit cards and charging up over $70,000.   The banks would let us off the hook if we pressed charges.  To keep peace in the family, we tossed her out, kept her son and paid the bills.  So, I probably would not. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

22 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Ahhh.  Now I understand why I didn't understand the appropriate use.  B)

It’s no thing. People don’t insert commas while speaking. Nor do they point out the lack of commas while engaging conversation. 

“You mean to say, ‘Now (comma) fuck off,’” said no one ever, polite or otherwise. 

• Haha 1

I just meant to admit that I might not always be part of "polite society".  Additionally, I tend to post text that contains various non standard punctuation such as "..........." which I intend as dramatic pauses before a punch line.  I've never been great at formal written English and when posting on forums I make an attempt to use the written word as if I were real and present in an actual conversation.

Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I've never been great at formal written English and when posting on forums

I used to work with a grammar Nazi and every time they would correct me I would challenge they to welding or rebuilding the automatic transmission in their car. They never excepted the challenge. 

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2019 at 8:04 AM, Razors Edge said:

...who was breaking the law in significant way?  Not something like breaking zoning laws or not reporting cash on taxes, but something more along the lines of a felony.

Knowingly withholding or harboring someone who committed a crime could end you up in jail.  Sorry but I ain’t gonna do it.
If my kids or someone close to me commited a serious crime and I was aware of it, I’d tell them if you don’t turn yourself in I’m gonna call the police.