Ah crap, my turn to ask for vibes

ChrisL

So we’re in CO to hang out with my FIL, this morning he was fine, carrying on his usual way.  We were about to go check out the sights when he started acting strangely.  Confusion, disorientation vision issues.  

His wife thought maybe he was suffering from altitude sickness so they recommended we carry on.  Oh hell the fuck no, give me the keys, Siri take me to the nearest hospital.  FIL kept insisting we not ruin the vacation. Yeah sorry dad your not calling the shots right now...

It appears he had a mild stroke but they are still doing tests.   I just got food for WOChrisL & his wife and are hanging out in the hospital...

What I’ve seen of CO sure is pretty though...

• Heart 1
  • Sad 7
  • Hugs 2

35 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I’m sorry your trip took a turn. Where are you, and what’s the strategy for getting FIL home again? 

Colorado Springs.  WOChrisL wanted to squeeze in a visit before the holidays (he lives in FL) and he suggested we meet somewhere in the middle so we chose CO. 

Right now we are not sure.  He’s kinda like Tom from 50 first dates.  He keeps asking why he is in the hospital, what happened etc.  He seems to have lost his short term memory but knows who everyone is, current events & such.  We keep telling him maybe he can go home tomorrow but I think he’s going to be here a while...  

He has moments where he is totally with it and then  moments where he is completely confused and you have to explain everything to him again. We are repeating things to him every few minutes. Funny thing is even in his confusion his sense of humor keeps coming out and he cracks silly jokes & such.

Well take it day by day at this point...

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

32 minutes ago, groupw said:

Good catch. Glad you got him into care. Make sure they are watching for fever. Even low grade fever can cause disorientation as we get older. Saw it with both my parents and neither broke 100. 

and dehydration. My mom just would not drink water in the Assisted Living. I think at home too. She got dehydrated several times

at altitude I seem to require more water

8 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

and dehydration. My mom just would not drink water in the Assisted Living. I think at home too. She got dehydrated several times

at altitude I seem to require more water

All of us require more liquids at altitude to ward off headaches, etc.  Sorry to hear about your problem.  Hope he responds to treatment and can head home soon. We'll keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.

• Heart 2

Sorry to hear about the FIL. Hope everything goes well. 
Just remember a family vacation should always have drama thrown in somewhere or it should not make for an interesting vacation. 
Also just on down to your nearest pot shop and enjoy the vacation! 

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

When I was initially discussing the flight change we were looking at a $600 change fee.  I explained to her the reason why we were making the change and if they could help us out. I offered to get a note from the physician.  The rep said that wouldn’t be necessary, said let me talk with my supervisor and after a few minute hold said they’d waive the change fees.

That was a really pleasant surprise.

And now, they likely have a customer for life.  From a business point of view, it will likely pay off.   From an ethical point of view, it's a home run. 

I prefer Delta because they still have a few MD 80s left and it's a direct flight to Atlanta from here.  And, I like flying in the old birds. But when I have a chance to fly SW, I jump on the opportunity.   

MD Mudkipz 

• Heart 1

Good to hear things stabilized and you were able to get a handle on the situation. Even better to read that you were there for the incident and had the sense to get him looked at ASAP.  It is a bit of a reminder to all of us to pay attention to how we're feeling and don't just brush stuff off.  As we get older and our parents get older and even our kids get older, stuff gets more serious and definitely erring on the side of caution becomes a good idea.

Hoping he progresses back to his old self, and that this was just a one-time issue that can be controlled & monitored from now on.

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good to hear things stabilized and you were able to get a handle on the situation. Even better to read that you were there for the incident and had the sense to get him looked at ASAP.  It is a bit of a reminder to all of us to pay attention to how we're feeling and don't just brush stuff off.  As we get older and our parents get older and even our kids get older, stuff gets more serious and definitely erring on the side of caution becomes a good idea.

Hoping he progresses back to his old self, and that this was just a one-time issue that can be controlled & monitored from now on.

Thanks, fortunately the impairment appears to be minimal (loss of peripheral vision on the right side) and per the Dr’s most likely won’t return.  But in the grand scheme of things it could have been much worse.

• Hugs 1