Getting old sucks

Indy

Son was being an idiot chasing his sister through a parking lot.  Went to kick him in the ass and I missed and felt something pop.  Hurt so bad I had to kick my wife out of the passenger seat and then regretted driving the convertible because it sits so low.  Now I'm nursing a screwed up hamstring.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Try yoga. It keeps things loose and supple. Injuries often happen from being too tight.  

I am slow to have learned this. Things are getting better the more I stretch. 

This 100%

8 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Try yoga. It keeps things loose and supple. Injuries often happen from being too tight.  

I am slow to have learned this. Things are getting better the more I stretch. 

Hope you feel better soon, Indy.

This^^^  As we age our bodies can’t always do what our mind thinks it can.  But staying loose & limber helps.

13 hours ago, Indy said:

Son was being an idiot chasing his sister through a parking lot.  Went to kick him in the ass and I missed and felt something pop.  Hurt so bad I had to kick my wife out of the passenger seat and then regretted driving the convertible because it sits so low.  Now I'm nursing a screwed up hamstring.

You seem to do a lot of kicking.  

1 hour ago, FaQ said:

You seem to do a lot of kicking.  

I do.  I have two Aussies and they like playing soccer, or at least attacking soccer balls.  Finally found one designed for it.

64758_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1543519093_.jpg

I keep pretending I'm not getting old.  On the hikes we're doing, the wife is struggling at times.  Sometimes we're above 8k in elevation, that makes it a bit harder.

I still run, I just run slower.

I'm not cycling now, but I will, I'll just go slower.

I'll get back to a better weight and things will be better.

I'll keep trying to exercise, that will help.

5 minutes ago, Dottie said:

No.  In our training, we were always told to warm up or jog around the field for about 15 minutes or so before stretching.

The current methodology is gradual dynamic movements leading into more strenuous activity followed by stretching.  My son had trainers that actually stretched after the work outs 

I started doing that with my softball warm ups and outside of getting drilled by comebackers made it through several years without any muscle or ligament injury.

Just now, Dottie said:

Stretching out afterwards is a key I think.

I've read that too.  I often don't.  If I rude or run from home i rarely do.  If I run near the gym, I often do before I shower.

Oddly, I've run, ridden, and hiked more than the average American a lot over the past 5 or so years.  I've never had a cramp, and only had one injury, I sprained a tendon in my knee from weak hip muscles.  It took a few years to get better, but it's 90% at this point.  I don't let it get in the way ever.

For me exercise is 99% mental.  I just tell myself I can do it.

Stretching is key...and presently, I dont do enough of it. I always warm up before my weight workouts..on my own or with the trainer..either walking or biking for 10 to 15 minutes...then there is the weight workout...now I should stretch afterwards..but it is a 30 minute drive home from the trainer session ..I am dead by then..but I am hoping to add some yoga to the evenings..even just a few poses.

2 hours ago, Dottie said:

No.  In our training, we were always told to warm up or jog around the field for about 15 minutes or so before stretching.

When I was a referee I would walk around the field checking everything out and then walk around it more aggressively before doing some stretches for my calves and achilles tendons to relieve some specific problems.   I always though of this walk as a gradual form of stretching as I would get more aggressive as I warmed the legs.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I keep pretending I'm not getting old.  On the hikes we're doing, the wife is struggling at times.  Sometimes we're above 8k in elevation, that makes it a bit harder.

I still run, I just run slower.

I'm not cycling now, but I will, I'll just go slower.

I'll get back to a better weight and things will be better.

I'll keep trying to exercise, that will help.

You should watch your spelling.  It is 'older' not 'old' for you. You really make me chuckle!:rolleyes:

• Haha 1