Any idea what caused this vertical line in the mtn?

ChrisL

Looking out the window we have a good view of the mountains. There is a vertical line going down the mountain and we are wondering what caused this.

Is it a fire break, river/waterfall?  It just seems odd that there is vertical break in the trees like that.

Any guesses?

70C7368A-F33A-46C6-B7A6-3D5872E76839.jpeg

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

OK we figured it out. It’s the Manitou Incline which was one of those light rails to a look out. Apparently the tracks washed away and now it’s a hiking trail to the look out.

4402DDD7-454F-4423-AAD1-68E3834F19E5.jpeg

A deadly hiking trail due to the severity of the slope.  Very steep.  Has caused heart attacks

My aunt and uncle used to live in the mountains around Altoona, PA. I used to visit them and take walks up and down the mountain. There were cleared trails like that to access power lines on the mountain that made the hike easier.

Maybe its for quick access to something like that.

I grew up in Pueblo and spent a lot of time in the Springs. Not enough to know the difference between the incline and the railway, though. 

We are looking forward to the railway opening again. The view west from Pikes Peak is beautiful. If you’re haven’t already, I recommend driving the road to the top.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

54 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I grew up in Pueblo and spent a lot of time in the Springs. Not enough to know the difference between the incline and the railway, though. 

We are looking forward to the railway opening again. The view west from Pikes Peak is beautiful. If you’re haven’t already, I recommend driving the road to the top.

Did anyone in your family work for the government printing office?

• Haha 1