Gas Gauge Arrow (2010+ cars) tells you gas cap side

MickinMD

I never paid attention, but there's an arrow next to the fuel pump icon on the gas gauge on 2010 or later (and probably some before) vehicles to tell you if your gas cap is on your driver's or passenger's side of the car.  After seeing a news article about the arrow, I looked online for a picture of my 2013 Honda Fit display panel and immediately recognized that I had seen the arrow but ignored it since it didn't seem tell me anything - I knew the gas cap is on the driver's side but didn't make the connection.  I hope I remember it the next time I get gas with a rental or friend's vehicle.

Of course, sometimes there's also a gas cap door release somewhere in the car. I had a 2019 Subaru Forrester rental in April and sat alongside a gas pump for at least 5 minutes looking through the car's manual to find out how to open the gas cap door.  It turns out there's a release recessed into the floor near the driver's door you have to press to release it.

News example, 2013 Honda Fit:

Arrow-on-Gas-Gauge.thumb.jpg.eb3d3d30001edd13c482744768d19442.jpg  796705961_Arrow-on-Gas-Gauge2013HondaFit!blowup.jpg.53d54e86eef80b15181664bc7a57c51e.jpg