Here we go again.. . . what color do you see?

Kirby

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Guys are only required to know about five colors, teal isn’t on the list. Those are ugly shoes whatever you call them.

This ^^^  I knew it was teal because it was a multiple choice question.  A or B.  When I saw grey I knew the other color had to be teal even if it looked like green.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

To partially red-green colorblind me, the toe looks pink and the rest looks gray.

Being color blind, I have a software tool I use when I'm not sure what color something is.

The three numbers at each of the four places indicated are the amount of red/green/blue where: 0/0/0 is pure black, 255/255/255 is pure white, 128/128/128 is pure medium gray, 255/0/0 is pure red, 128/0/0 is dark red, etc.

image.png.cefba958f4237d1d431efb2aaf6c71aa.png

I copied the shoe picture into Corel Paintshop Pro and ran the "dropper tool" over the various parts of the picture. The dropper tool makes the program's paintbrush paint with whatever color the dropper grabs from a place on the picture and it tells you what degree of red/green/blue is in the "drop" that's grabbed.  The tool registered virtually equal parts of red, green and blue with red and blue always being slightly less than green and red usually slightly less than blue most of the time, typically something like R/G/B = 120/143/135.

The numbers 120/143/135 and similar numbers mean they're gray because they are fairly close in value to each other and a medium shade because they're roughly halfway between the minimum of 0 and the max. of 255. So it's a medium gray that's not quite "pure gray" (the R/G/B numbers are not all the same) but close to it.  The shade might be called some exotic named shade of gray, but it's definitely medium gray.

It's definitely not pink (requires much greater red value than green or blue, like 255/128/128) or white (255/255/255 or similar), except the white laces and obvious white accents.

Googling "teal" generates the shades below.  The big block on the left of the samples with the word teal in it generates R/G/B = 0/128/128: no red, equal medium parts of green and blue).  The big block in the middle of the samples generates 30/168/170, the top right is 0/128/128 and the bottom right is 136/220/205.  Clearly, teal is basically green and blue with maybe a relative hint of red.

There's too much red in the shoe to be teal, so Paintshop Pro tells us the shoe is a medium gray.

image.png.0c75325b3dcf6ad3bb3dec20cf3fca04.png

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

To partially red-green colorblind me, the toe looks pink and the rest looks gray.

Being color blind, I have a software tool I use when I'm not sure what color something is.

The three numbers at each of the four places indicated are the amount of red/green/blue where: 0/0/0 is pure black, 255/255/255 is pure white, 128/128/128 is pure medium gray, 255/0/0 is pure red, 128/0/0 is dark red, etc.

I copied the shoe picture into Corel Paintshop Pro and ran the "dropper tool" over the various parts of the picture. The dropper tool makes the program's paintbrush paint with whatever color the dropper grabs from a place on the picture and it tells you what degree of red/green/blue is in the "drop" that's grabbed.  The tool registered virtually equal parts of red, green and blue with red and blue always being slightly less than green and red usually slightly less than blue most of the time, typically something like R/G/B = 120/143/135.

The numbers 120/143/135 and similar numbers mean they're gray because they are fairly close in value to each other and a medium shade because they're roughly halfway between the minimum of 0 and the max. of 255. So it's a medium gray that's not quite "pure gray" (the R/G/B numbers are not all the same) but close to it.  The shade might be called some exotic named shade of gray, but it's definitely medium gray.

It's definitely not pink (requires much greater red value than green or blue, like 255/128/128) or white (255/255/255 or similar), except the white laces and obvious white accents.

Googling "teal" generates the shades below.  The big block on the left of the samples with the word teal in it generates R/G/B = 0/128/128: no red, equal medium parts of green and blue).  The big block in the middle of the samples generates 30/168/170, the top right is 0/128/128 and the bottom right is 136/220/205.  Clearly, teal is basically green and blue with maybe a relative hint of red.

There's too much red in the shoe to be teal, so Paintshop Pro tells us the shoe is a medium gray.

I see gray/teal.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

:o

Nominated as post of the month.

• Heart 1

Teal with light-grey green.

I watched a tv science show on how people see colour. They featured an artist who painted well but she could only see black, white and grey.  At the opposite was another artists, who saw a lot of different shades/colours in ie. green shade.  So 2 very extreme physiological conditions.

Some people might be missing certain cones in their eyes to see full range of colours.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:58 PM, Scrapr said:

gray  (grey?) & teal for me

One day I looked online to see if I should spell it "gray" or "grey" and found both are acceptable.  "Gray" predominates in the USA but "grey" predominates in the UK and other English-speaking countries.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

One day I looked online to see if I should spell it "gray" or "grey" and found both are acceptable.  "Gray" predominates in the USA but "grey" predominates in the UK and other English-speaking countries.

Gray is someone's last name.  Grey is a color.  But as you say, sometimes gray is a color as well.