Do you think 1960's NASA mission control was a good look?

Randomguy

I actually got to see that room at NASA misson control in Houston. It's not open to the public, or at least it wasn't back in the 70s, but I went on a school field trip and they took us through there. We sat behind the glass in the press area.

It is a surprisingly small room. All the pictures and TV shots were framed in a way to make it look like a really big center, but its actually not big at all.

I remember all the footage of Gene Kranz smoking like a freight train right there in the middle of Mission Control. Guys had their coffee cups sitting right on top on their instrument consoles and right next to their ash trays. 

I actually got to see that room at NASA misson control in Houston. It's not open to the public, or at least it wasn't back in the 70s, but I went on a school field trip and they took us through there. We sat behind the glass in the press area.

It is a surprisingly small room. All the pictures and TV shots were framed in a way to make it look like a really big center, but its actually not big at all.

I remember all the footage of Gene Kranz smoking like a freight train right there in the middle of Mission Control. Guys had their coffee cups sitting right on top on their instrument consoles and right next to their ash trays. 

I was there a few years ago. IIRC, the 'new' mission control room is still in the same building, but they wouldn't show us that. What was odd to me was the fact that it was just housed inside a regular and rather drab building. You kinda think it'd be in some sort of huge tower or futuristic complex or something, but it might as well been the administrative section of an old high school.

Now what was impressive to me was Sprint's ops center in Kansas City. Holy sheot, it looked high tech.