speaking of colors

bikeman564™

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Problem is the rear dropout spacing. This was probably a 7 speed back in the day which is 126mm IIRC.

The good news is you can spread (cold set?) steel stays.  But why would you want to?

That is a sweet frame, have you ever seen the old 7-11 frames from the 80’s?  They had a cool green, white & red color scheme.

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

The good news is you can spread (cold set?) steel stays.  But why would you want to?

That is a sweet frame, have you ever seen the old 7-11 frames from the 80’s?  They had a cool green, white & red color scheme.

The 7-11 frame is sweet looking. My buddy Frankie Andreau :D still has his 7-11 team bike in his collection.

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

The 7-11 frame is sweet looking. My buddy Frankie Andreau :D still has his 7-11 team bike in his collection.

I got a couple hits for 7/11 bikes.  I'd say the second one (Merckx) is the nicer of the two, but both would seem to be color schemes that a frame painter could easily copy in a tasteful modern way????

Hampsten.jpg.a27af0d1cc1e987c52733dfd9e6363a5.jpg

full_LH.thumb.jpg.f02ebb5418b6a85fd33a5e03757e0314.jpg

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I got a couple hits for 7/11 bikes.  I'd say the second one (Merckx) is the nicer of the two, but both would seem to be color schemes that a frame painter could easily copy in a tasteful modern way????

Hampsten.jpg.a27af0d1cc1e987c52733dfd9e6363a5.jpg

full_LH.thumb.jpg.f02ebb5418b6a85fd33a5e03757e0314.jpg

Yeah the second one is what I was referring to.  The Huffy’s &  Murrays were built by Ben Serrotta.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I always thought it was crazy how Serrotta built the bike then had other brand decals on it

My memory may be a little suspect but that I recall, Serrotta was a struggling custom builder and one, had the skill sets necessary to build high end frames and two had the availability to build them unlike many of the other builders. 
It was a helluva opportunity and helped launch his business. Anyone who knew anything about bikes knew those weren’t Murray’s & Huffys, both brands made crap dept store bikes at that time.

• Heart 1