Running at elevation is harder

Square Wheels

I am much slower than I used to be, mostly because I've gained weight and am running a lot less.

At home I run about a 10 minute mile, here I struggle to run an 11 or 12.  Yesterday at 5k feet it was 11, when I was over 7k feet, it was more like 12.

Do you live at elevation?  At home I'm at 125 feet, essentially sea level.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I am much slower than I used to be, mostly because I've gained weight and am running a lot less.

At home I run about a 10 minute mile, here I struggle to run an 11 or 12.  Yesterday at 5k feet it was 11, when I was over 7k feet, it was more like 12.

Do you live at elevation?  At home I'm at 125 feet, essentially sea level.

I live pretty low too, but many of our vacations are at higher elevations.  I can't say I have been affected much at all while doing most activities - from hikes to skiing to just wandering around - but I need to get a bike out to those places to see if I can notice a quantifiable difference. I think with the bike computer pulling in all sorts of data, there would likely be some sort of difference that came to light.

I live at about 50’ above sea level but we have mtn’s going up to about 9K feet within two hours. That mtn bike fondo started at about 7K and went up into the mid 8’s.  The climbs kicked my ass.

We are currently at 6K feet and since I’m not working out have been taking the stairs and I feel it still. 

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I often take walk breaks while running, it's amazing how fast my heart rate gets into the 160s.  That's high for an old dude, especially when the oxygen level is lower.

My HR while running is usually higher at a "similar" effort versus cycling, but I am willing to bet, if I tracked my HR on a ride at 7k feet, I would see it either higher for a similar perceived effort OR significantly lower power at an equivalent HR.

Considering you're close to my age, but realizing HR is a purely individual characteristic, I wouldn't think 160s would be too "high" by any stretch while exercising.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My HR while running is usually higher at a "similar" effort versus cycling, but I am willing to bet, if I tracked my HR on a ride at 7k feet, I would see it either higher for a similar perceived effort OR significantly lower power at an equivalent HR.

Considering you're close to my age, but realizing HR is a purely individual characteristic, I wouldn't think 160s would be too "high" by any stretch while exercising.

My run average about 150, that's hard for me.  160s is not uncommon.  The big difference here is a I walk more.

I flew back to J-burg (~6,000') on New Year's Day, 1984 after 3 weeks stateside, mostly in Roch and VA and a whole lotta beer. I wanted to run an ultra that year, b/c it was likely my last year to be able to do so. I started with a run/walk for 2 miles & slowly gained in fitness and O2 take-up. The beginning was rough, but I was surprised how quickly my body adapted.