So, did you ever have a phone with a slider keyboard?

MoseySusan

I used to have a phone (at least six phones ago) that had a keyboard that slid out of the phone for texting. That was to replace my phone that you texted by using the numbers. A was a 1, B was the number 1 hit twice, etc. my wife would send me a text and I would call her rather than try to wade through that.

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I want one if those. I cannot hold my phone and type with two thumbs. I only use my right index finger. It’s slow going even though I’m pretty agile. Maybe a non-querty keyboard would help. The kind you slide your finger around.

The newest IOS 13 for iphone allows you to slide your finger around and it works pretty well!  I had previously used the Swift keyboard for that but it kept going away.  I also hold the phone with right hand and type with my left index finger and this slider thing works very well for that.  It is smart enough to insert spaces.  It sometimes gets the wrong word so it might be a little slower overall, but much less annoying than lifting your finger for each character. 

Another first world problem remedied slightly. :D

As far as non-qwerty, that is quite drastic!  A good first step is to set your keyboard for one handed typing which at last scrunches everything to one side so the keys are closer together

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I want one if those. I cannot hold my phone and type with two thumbs. I only use my right index finger. It’s slow going even though I’m pretty agile. Maybe a non-querty keyboard would help. The kind you slide your finger around.

HP does non-QWERTY keyboards on some of their touch panels. It is torture to set up a wifi connection on those. My brain is too ingrained with the QWERTY mindset....

I do on occassion miss the keyboard on my Blackberry from several years ago. The keys had a shape that made it pretty clear where you were on the keyboard without having to look. I typically do the 2 thumb typing. I'm not driving when I type so it's normally not a big deal!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

For a minute I thought this was a topic dredge from 2009, but then I remembered the SW forum wasn't born yet :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, roadsue said:

As an aside, depending upon your surroundings, using the voice transcribing is really the easiest path to getting a lot of text into your phone.  Hit the microphone, talk away, clean up any errors.  Easy peasy.

I’ve been practicing with the sliding typing technique and it takes some getting used to.  One thing to watch is the word suggestions can distract you. Often the correct word got typed but the suggestions make me think it didn’t. I think the root cause is you have to look a t the keyboard. It would be cool if you were a touch typist and could look at what you are doing instead. 

Proof reading is a must also  because it is like Otto correct on steroids. :D

A recent NYT article reported data that two thumbs are fastest and using autocorrect is faster than using text prediction. 

I just cannot hold an iPhone 6 in two hands. There’s not enough phone there unless I turn It sideways, but that makes the screen disappear beneath the pop up keyboard.

I want a keyboard that slides out from beneath the phone like back in the day.

4 hours ago, roadsue said:

A recent NYT article reported data that two thumbs are fastest and using autocorrect is faster than using text prediction. 

I just cannot hold an iPhone 6 in two hands. There’s not enough phone there unless I turn It sideways, but that makes the screen disappear beneath the pop up keyboard.

I want a keyboard that slides out from beneath the phone like back in the day.

You need a keyboard case. 

https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-iphone-6-keyboard-cases/

• Awesome 1