So my 15 year old son wants his ear pierced

jsharr

I’d you had a daughter would you feel the same way? Piercings on guys really isn’t that big a deal any more and 15 is about right.  It’s just one and it will close if he doesn’t like/want it later.

At my kids HS about 30% of the kids had ink, especially the Pacific islanders.  My son wanted a tattoo and I told him when you are 18 you can do what you want to your skin.  4 years later he still doesn’t have ink.

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have my ear pierced in my late teens or early 20s.

My wife and I really are not against it, just wondering if 15 is too young.

I think there is a girl behind this, but he says he just likes the look.

Please help me make this decision.

15 is NOT too young.  It is just about the only age your son should have his ear pierced.  Look at any HS yearbook, and see the mistakes made by teens "finding their own way", and realize he'll likely realize the error of his ways by his 20s. 

Now, the tattoo he is gonna want...

5 minutes ago, groupw said:

Piercing is temporarily if you don’t like it. So is hair color. My 2 daughters have done unusual hair color. My youngest daughter has a septum piercing. I’m not crazy about it, but it’s small and not really noticed by most people. 

Our oldest daughter is the only one with “tattoos”. She had to get 3 dots on her torso to help with the alignment for the radiation portion of her cancer treatment. I told her she should have them make them little arrows with “this end up” on them. 

Many years ago, my dad was going to a family reunion on my Mom’s side. At a truck stop on the way, he found some magnetic earrings. Just a little stud. He wore it to the reunion. Everyone looked, but nobody said a word except for one of my cousins. He walked over, smiled and tugged on Dad’s ear! 
That evening he went to visit his brother. At dinner my uncle was just having a fit! Just totally upset my dad would pierce himself and on and on. Dad pulled it off, said it’s really not bad. Give it a try! Left my uncle slack-jawed!

I had a pony tail and an ear ring, worked on a boat dock, and dressed in shorts, sandals and t shirts most days and drove a Jeep, usually with the top and doors off..   Went to lunch with dad and some of his cow orkers one day and a guy drives by in a Jeep with long hair and and ear ring.  Dad called him a term I won't use here as a shot at me.  It was all in fun.

• Heart 1

Funny story.

One day in the 90's, when a lot of boys I was teaching had ear or other piercings, I asked them if their parents gave them hard times about it.  Most said they did.

I told them that we had a guest speaker from a makeup company at a recent meeting of the Maryland Chapter of the American Chemical Society.

He told us - he really did, I wasn't teasing - that makeup was only being sold to 50% of the population and the industry was making moves to get men to start using it.

I pointed out that on the show "Home Improvement," the oldest son of Tim Taylor had a pimple and his girlfriend showed him how to cover it up with makeup. What was a secret at the beginning of the show ended showing a whole bunch of boys being taught how to apply makeup at the end.

There were several other TV series where men were shown using makeup for various reasons.

My teenage students nodded in agreement - they had seen those episodes. I pointed out that it was likely that makeup companies paid some of those shows to air episodes showing teenage boys using makeup.

So, I asked, when you have kids and your teenage sons start applying makeup, you're going to be more understanding after suffering abuse from your parents over jewelry, right?

"No!" they screamed, "No son of mine is ever going to wear makeup!"  Etc. Etc.

So I asked, "Do you think your fathers said the same thing about jewelry when they were teenagers?"

The classroom got very quiet as the teens suddenly realized the revolution they were in and the revolution they might be in a generation later.

Then we went back to the study of chemistry.

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

But sometimes I feel I am the only person I know under the age of 50 without a tattoo.

When I first started doing model photography, there was a big divide among models and photographers about tattoos. Frequently models would argue their body was their canvas. I have no issue with that if the art is well thought out and executed. My problem was always with those who treat their body as a doodle pad. “Hey guys! Feeling like a new tat! What should I get?”

For the most part, I can work with tats. If it interferes too much we can use a concealer. A non-inked model is heading toward unicorn status any more. 

10 minutes ago, groupw said:

When I first started doing model photography, there was a big divide among models and photographers about tattoos. Frequently models would argue their body was their canvas. I have no issue with that if the art is well thought out and executed. My problem was always with those who treat their body as a doodle pad. “Hey guys! Feeling like a new tat! What should I get?”

For the most part, I can work with tats. If it interferes too much we can use a concealer. A non-inked model is heading toward unicorn status any more. 

As long as he does not get the same tattoo that @Square Wheels got, I am okay I guess

Related image

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

But sometimes I feel I am the only person I know under the age of 50 without a tattoo.

I felt the same in the Army.  I was one of the very few guys ink free in my unit.  I actually had my whole squad pitch in for any tat I wanted and there was just nothing I wanted on my body the rest of my life.

53 and still ink free...

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I hope you called him a girl and told him no.  I don’t like piercings, you see, they are no thing for a man to have. 

“You wanna get your nipples pierced, too, ya pervert?  How about piercing yer butt next?  They’ll never hire you at Hardee’s with butt and nipples rings poking through yer clothes, you know, Hardee’s is a family place”. 

• Haha 1